Cat + chicks = [email protected]£)3

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ellie-x-x-x, Apr 17, 2012.

1. ellie-x-x-x

ellie-x-x-x Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    Hi, well currently my little broody silkie; angel, is sitting on 6 Orpington eggs which are due to hatch on Friday! I cannot waitttt!

However, on Saturday we are moving house so I can move my hens home from a different place where they are now! They've never been at home before coz of my cat! But I love them at home, but I'm just terrified of how it may end up! My cat is a big killer, and although my coop has a small run connected to it, they've always been free range so I want them to stay that way!

My question is; is there any way to keep my cat away from my chickens without fencing them off?? Please help!!!

2. Apyl

Apyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2012
    Necedah, Wi
    I have my chicks and ducklings running free. I also have a cat that is our mouser and he will kill everything from mice, moles, squirels, and birds. We have had a few instances where the cat stalked the chicks but I would throw something at the cat and scare it. After a couple times of this the cat leaves the chicks alone for the most part. I also took one of the chicks and put it right in the cats face and he didnt like that. (It was a suggestion from someone on here to do to get the cat to not want to go after the chicks). Now the chicks are now 7 weeks old and they chase the cat lol.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by