1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat eats chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hwppq, Sep 20, 2011.

1. hwppq

hwppq New Egg

Sep 9, 2011
    My wyndotte chick is about 6 week old. I wonder if cat is threat to my chick because my neighbor has a cat.

2. ChickenScratchin

ChickenScratchin Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2011
    Colorado
    At 6 wks, certainly can be. I would make sure chick is in enclosed area where the cat cannot get in. But actually, at that age especially, other predators are even more likely (racoon, skunk, etc).

3. KandiandJerry

KandiandJerry Chillin' With My Peeps

A cat will definately kill a chick.....

4. catsew

catsew Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    YES. My cat is till trying to eat the chickens and they're almost bigger than she is. They're safe in a fence and the cat is in the house, but got out the other day. Then our neighbors dog chased the cat. It was pretty funny if you think about it, since she was trying to eat the chickens.
    But yes, especially at 6 weeks.

5. ceeceeholt

ceeceeholt Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 17, 2011
    Alabama
    They will, my cats sit at the fence and lick their lips (do cats have lips) lol! They are safely behind a fence with wire and then chicken wire on top of that!!!!

6. hwppq

hwppq New Egg

Sep 9, 2011
    When will chick not be hurt by cat? 1 year old? Any idea?

7. SilkieBantams

SilkieBantams Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2011
    Houston, TX
    Cats will kill a chick if they happen to get a hold of one. So I would say keep the chick inside until he/she is fully grown

8. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    A cat will generally not attack a full grown chicken. Not worth the fight. But a full grown banty might be enough to make them giive it a shot.. Otherwise, I think they just look longingly at what they wish they could have.

9. Ole rooster

Ole rooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2011
    Milner, Georgia
    If they think is it's small enough for a kill. But not here at my place.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by