1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cat experts/lovers need opinion please (pics)

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jennh, Jan 29, 2011.

1. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    I adopted these two adorable female littermates back in Sept. They are now 6 mos old. I am wondering about their fur length. When do they get their adult coat? They looked like they had long hair when they were 8 weeks old, but now I'm wondering if they will be long haired (hope, hope). The 1st pic is of the day I brought them home. They were COVERED in fleas! The other two are from last week when I had them spayed. BTW, they both have REALLY long tufts of hair coming out of their ears, and long tufts of hair between their toes.

Thanks for any opinions/ info!

Jen

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. magoochie

magoochie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2010
    Grantsburg, WI
    Looks like the black/white is a long hair and the other is a medium hair.

3. Abbeygremlin

Abbeygremlin Out Of The Brooder

Dec 27, 2010
    Quote:I agree, beautiful cats!I have two Maine coon mixed cats with The tufts of hair between the toes and out the ears that have medium hair.

4. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Hi! I think your 2 beautiful kitties are "medium" hair cats...

Here some pics of mine to show you what i mean...

Here is Blue and Calli-Lilly (she was only a kitten in this pic..).. long hair cats..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here are 2 "medium" hair cats: Spike (blk&white) & Rosco..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And my short hair cats: Digit & Little Bear (white one)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

See the difference now?
    Good luck with your adorable babies! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I agree medium hair, maybe a bit longer on the black/white one. Nice of you to adopt them

Imp

6. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I'd say probably neither will be longhaired; both are medium-haired, the grey and white one less so. I.e. they are poofier/wispier than a regular shorthair cat but not really LONGhaired as such, especially on the body (especially for the grey and white one).

Personally I think that's a nice length of hair for cats [​IMG]

THey are very handsome, enjoy them [​IMG],

Pat

7. Mak

Mak Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 12, 2009
    Londonderry, NH
    Yep, medium haired. Not short, not super long. But they will still tangle and mat, most likely. All 4 of my medium hair litter mates did. Get them used to brushing and combing now and it will make things lots easier. They are cuties, both of them. Loved my medium haired kitties- so soft!

8. jennh

jennh Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2007
    Lititz
    Redhen, your Spike is BEAUTIFUL!!! [​IMG] He looks like the cat I had to put to sleep in Sept., right before I got my two kitties, Venus (the grey and white one, and Sheba, the black and White one) So therefore I am partial to black and white (tuxedo) kitties. They have the most awesome personalities! Here is a pic of Athena, the one who I had to PTS [​IMG]
    BTW, how long 'til they get their adult coat?

Jen

[​IMG]

Quote:

9. annaraven

annaraven Born this way

Apr 15, 2010
    SillyCon Valley
    Personally, I think medium hair is the best of all worlds. Long enough to be incredibly silky, short enough to not get all matted and nasty if I'm not brushing them constantly.

Wonderful kitty pics! Thank you for adopting them.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Athena is very pretty! So sorry you lost her.. [​IMG]
    I also am partial to the tuxedo or blk & white kitties.. Just something about them. [​IMG]
    Good luck with your little ones! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by