cat food and eating the eggs

gypsyfarm123

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
south jersey
Hi all. I recently broke my coller bone (and surgery to bolt it back together), which has been just awesome;) Anyway, I haven't been able to get to the feed store until today but the past 3wks or so my hens have been living off dry cat food and house scraps. I tried to give them their normal pellets and they wouldn't touch it. So I guess question one is:
Will they ever go back to the feed or did I spoil them? And question two is:
Is it ok to eat the eggs from a hen that has been eating cat food?..would you?
(ok,four questions;) T/y....craig

Sorry to hear about your injury! During the winter cold days I give my chickens a little cat food and I eat the eggs. Yes, you have spoiled them by letting them have cat food every day, I'm sure they love you for it! You really need to get them eating there regular food it is a much more balanced diet. Just give the cat food once in a while for treats. You don't want to get into having thin shells with your eggs.

If all they have to eat is the pellets, I guarantee they won't starve themselves in protest.
The eggs are fine to eat. My hens turn all sorts of garbage into eggs for me. They're my Ultimate Recyclers!

Ya no problm on eating the eggs...worst that might happen is you start meowing (ha ha just kidding)

Our birds all time favorite treat? Termites.

Back
Top Bottom