cat food and eating the eggs

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by gypsyfarm123, Feb 8, 2012.

1. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Hi all. I recently broke my coller bone (and surgery to bolt it back together), which has been just awesome;) Anyway, I haven't been able to get to the feed store until today but the past 3wks or so my hens have been living off dry cat food and house scraps. I tried to give them their normal pellets and they wouldn't touch it. So I guess question one is:
    Will they ever go back to the feed or did I spoil them? And question two is:
    Is it ok to eat the eggs from a hen that has been eating cat food?..would you?
    (ok,four questions;) T/y....craig

2. kidcody

kidcody Overrun With Chickens

Sorry to hear about your injury! During the winter cold days I give my chickens a little cat food and I eat the eggs. Yes, you have spoiled them by letting them have cat food every day, I'm sure they love you for it! You really need to get them eating there regular food it is a much more balanced diet. Just give the cat food once in a while for treats. You don't want to get into having thin shells with your eggs.

3. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    If all they have to eat is the pellets, I guarantee they won't starve themselves in protest.
    The eggs are fine to eat. My hens turn all sorts of garbage into eggs for me. They're my Ultimate Recyclers!

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    Ya no problm on eating the eggs...worst that might happen is you start meowing (ha ha just kidding)

Our birds all time favorite treat? Termites.

5. gypsyfarm123

gypsyfarm123 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2011
    south jersey
    Right on. Thank-you EVERYONE :) If I start meowing I'll let you know,Mama. LOL

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by