Cat Food Crazy Chickens

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by shelleen, Oct 2, 2011.

1. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Our chickens are crazy about cat food. They rush the 2 cats when they are eating and gobble up all their food. The crazy cats just sit there watching, finally give up & walk away! After browsing several topics on BYC, I ran across a post about feeding guineas catfish feed due to the high protein content. We also have 2 guineas & 2 ducks--who never seem to get in on the cat food craze.

My question is this...cat food is also high in protein, and since we are looking at another cold MN winter, I'm wondering about supplementing their regular laying feed with some cat food. Does anyone have any thoughts on the idea??

Thanks!

2. 1hotmoma

1hotmoma Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    Our chickens must be related. Mine do to. I feed the chickens first and then the cats hoping that they don't pay attention to me but no luck there. My poor cats.

3. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Do a search on cat food here, I have been here 6 months and it comes up often. As a treat or supplement there are lots of pros and cons with ingredients and quality being a major concern. There seems robe no debate on whether they like it or not. Good luck.

4. shelleen

shelleen Out Of The Brooder

Sep 27, 2011
    Quote:Yes, we have a 6 month old male cat & our Chinese Bantam rooster bullies him out of the food all the time. I saw my husband sitting in the car as he was leaving for work watching them for a long time. He said the roo kept pecking Hank's paws every time he came near! Poor Hanky...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by