Cat food--- do you mean dry or canned?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Astrid, Jan 12, 2009.

1. Astrid

Astrid Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2007
    Connecticut
    I've got four hens who have decided that this week, THE COLDEST WEEK OF THE YEAR!!!! --- is a FABULOUS time to start molting! I've read that I should up their protein with cat food to help them stay warm and grow their feathers back, but I"m unsure whether that means dry cat food or canned cat food. I have lots of dry cat food on hand (for my cats!) so should I wet that with water, or go buy some cans of wet food?

Also, what else would be helpful? Peanut butter snacks (got that idea from the pb thread!)

Thanks,
    Astrid

2. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    I just throw a couple handfuls of hard catfood out when I let them out of thier coop.

3. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    Mine love dry cat food, they will clean the bowl faster than the cats can [​IMG]

I sometimes toss a handfull in the coop since they are locked up and you would think it was chocolate or something

4. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    My EE hen who thinks she is a people won't eat with the others . . . anything . . . and insists on eating only what we or the cat(dry cat food) eats. the cat and dogs actually let her eat first.

5. needmorechickens!

needmorechickens! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 2, 2008
    West TN
    Quote:[​IMG] Wow, your other pets are "henpecked"!
    ~Rebecca

6. wegotchickens

wegotchickens DownSouth D'Uccles & Silkies

Jul 5, 2007
    Sevier County, TN
    needmorechickens! :

Quote:[​IMG] Wow, your other pets are "henpecked"!
    ~Rebecca

I tried to give my cats left-over organic turkey from Thanksgiving. The chickens stole it right out from under the cat's paws! No one with sense gets between a chicken & food.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by