Cat Food for Chickens

Yes, just not a steady solid diet. However, I had a free ranging light brahma that would always run to the cat food when she was let out, and she never had issues. It helps when they are coming out of a moult to have the extra animal protein that's in it, especially with crested breeds.

That is good to know. I have several bags of dry cat food that my finicky cats don't like very well and the humane society won't take open food. So I was just going to throw it out to the swans, geese, ducks and other wild critters that populate the pond. I have decided to try chickens this spring and I figure after they become young adults on regular feed that I could supplement their feed. Also friend at local grocery store is going to save me some greens from produce section that they trim away before putting up for sale.

Mine LOVE cat food. I don't see any reason it would be bad for them, except for the really cheap cat foods that have artificial color in them. In fact, some cat foods are so high in grains and cereals they are more fit for chickens than cats.

Stephanie

My chickens fight the cats for food, my GP will fight the chickens for hen scratch. The pot belly pig and the chickens fight over each others food, including the scraps. And the goats want the chickens feed and the chickens want the goat pellets.
idunno.gif

But I have to stand guard so the poor cats can eat.
lau.gif

We had to move the barn cats food dish up high on a shelf, that only the cats could reach. So the darn hens wouldn't eat it all. They go crazy for the stuff.

when i let my chickens out the ones that remember make a `B`line for the front porch for the dry cat food. no matter how many times i have told them its cat food.. i have even showed them the bag with the pretty kitty on the front... they just dont get it ... lol

but once the dish is empty it will not get re filled before the chickens are back in the coop

Back
Top Bottom