Cat food for Chooks ???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by max101, May 13, 2009.

1. max101

max101 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    newcastle Australia
    I have read here on byc that cat food is good for chickens. What type of cat food does everyone mean? beef, chicken etc. Is there a brand or a flavour that is no good for chickens. Can they eat the fishy type? Do I feed this to them as a treat, twice weekly or is it good for them all the time. Thanks

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Mine eat anything left over from the cats, on the deck. I also occasionally throw some dry into their food.

Imp

3. kevindean

kevindean Out Of The Brooder

Feb 16, 2009
    independence Mo
    CAT food?

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Yes CAT food. Although I wouldn't reccomend it as a steady diet. Some people give it to malnourished,sick or injured chickens for extra protein. And to answer the OPs question. Any kind of cat food.

Imp

5. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I sometimes throw a handful of dry cat food out to the chooks. Usually when they are begging at the kitchen door and I don't have time to cook them up a full meal. [​IMG]
    I figure if I don't give it to them, they'll just steal it from the Kitty when I feed her anyhow. They also steal the dog's food and the goat's food.

6. sillybirds

sillybirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2008
    California
    I tried it awhile back, but my chicks never took a liking to it.

7. ridgefire

ridgefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    Quote:Yours beg too....here I thought I was the only one with the sad eyes looking through the screen door.

8. cherig22

cherig22 Green Fields Farm

Sep 2, 2008
    SW Missouri
    Quote:Oh no, this is an inbred thing. Passed down through the chicken generations. I think the older hens actually teach a class in it to the babies. They are not out in the field, showing them where bugs are. They are imparting begging tricks.

Cheri

9. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    When saving eggs to hatch I often suppliment with cat food &/or canned Salmon or Mackrel. This increases protein levels & supplies amino acids along with Omega 3 oils in the case of the canned fish.
    This seems to positively affect fertility & hatchability.
    It's been especially helpful with my bantam ducks.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Awhile back, my SO heard a "knock" at the kitchen door. He opened it to find a bunch of cute hopeful faces staring up at him. He asked me why the chickens were knocking. I told him, just throw them some bread. They'll go away. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by