Cat food for Chooks ???

max101

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2009
newcastle Australia
I have read here on byc that cat food is good for chickens. What type of cat food does everyone mean? beef, chicken etc. Is there a brand or a flavour that is no good for chickens. Can they eat the fishy type? Do I feed this to them as a treat, twice weekly or is it good for them all the time. Thanks

Mine eat anything left over from the cats, on the deck. I also occasionally throw some dry into their food.

Imp

Yes CAT food. Although I wouldn't reccomend it as a steady diet. Some people give it to malnourished,sick or injured chickens for extra protein. And to answer the OPs question. Any kind of cat food.

Imp

I sometimes throw a handful of dry cat food out to the chooks. Usually when they are begging at the kitchen door and I don't have time to cook them up a full meal.
roll.png

I figure if I don't give it to them, they'll just steal it from the Kitty when I feed her anyhow. They also steal the dog's food and the goat's food.

Quote:
Oh no, this is an inbred thing. Passed down through the chicken generations. I think the older hens actually teach a class in it to the babies. They are not out in the field, showing them where bugs are. They are imparting begging tricks.

Cheri

When saving eggs to hatch I often suppliment with cat food &/or canned Salmon or Mackrel. This increases protein levels & supplies amino acids along with Omega 3 oils in the case of the canned fish.
This seems to positively affect fertility & hatchability.
It's been especially helpful with my bantam ducks.

Quote:
Awhile back, my SO heard a "knock" at the kitchen door. He opened it to find a bunch of cute hopeful faces staring up at him. He asked me why the chickens were knocking. I told him, just throw them some bread. They'll go away.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom