CAT FOOD FOR PECKING PROBLEMS?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ynendine, Feb 22, 2014.

1. ynendine

ynendine Out Of The Brooder

Jan 27, 2013
    I have 8 hens and am exhausted of trying to keep them all alive because of pecking problem.... I have read about this intensley and have none of the problems in my management that should be causing this problem...I have used blu kote...pine tar and nothing is working they just peck where the blukote and pine tar haven't been put on...I have put pinless peepers on all of them and after a qhile I noticed one tatra tint still able to peck rear end of one of my comets....only thing I haven't tried is adding dry cat food to diet which I haveheard helps...anyone hear of this?? How much should I give and what kind?? dry or canned and what ingredients? there are so many different...I am desperate and ready to get rid of them all I am tired of the battle.... please help....some people say its because I hav a mixed breed but my friend has all the same breed and has had same issues.... I have 3 golden comets...1 tetra tint..1 black australop...2 easter eggers and 1 barred rock..I have seen them all pecking..not just one of them..I currently feed them blue seal food 16 percent protein... need all the advice I ca get

2. DraigAthar

DraigAthar Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Can you describe the housing you keep them in?

3. ynendine

Jan 27, 2013
    I have a coop attached to enclosed pen with roof on it..the coop itself is 4X8 and the pen 8x12 which they have acess to at all times

4. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    I can see why you are frustrated, that sounds like enough room for 8 hens to live comfortably. Hrm.

5. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Have you noticed that one hen is the biggest bully? I mean, do you think the bulk of the pecking is being done by one hen? Or are they all doing it?

6. ynendine

Jan 27, 2013
    I have seen them all do it...have you heard about giving cat food?

7. DraigAthar

Jan 1, 2011
    Plainfield, NH
    Nope, never heard of that tactic. But then I don't think I've ever had quite as extensive pecking problem as the one you're describing. I've only ever had an issue with one hen being a big bully.

8. ynendine

Jan 27, 2013
    Sure hope I get some input here by forum...because I am at wits end......

9. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Sometimes when the problem gets to this point, it may seem nothing will help.

The point of cat food is the animal protein supplement. The problem is, cat food has a lot more methionine in it than chickens need. So another source of animal protein would be preferable. I have my doubts that a couple of cans of tuna per day are going to stop your problem at this stage, though. For methionine, check out the note at the end of the treats chart, HERE.

I believe if they were mine I'd greatly increase their space, whatever that took. You would no doubt be increasing their exposure to predators, but at this point, they are their own predators.

Have you seen this thread?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/697052/i-think-i-found-a-miracle-cure-for-feather-picking/0_20

1 person likes this.
  10. Judy

Judy Chicken Obsessed Staff Member Premium Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    That's a little larger than the minimum recommended 10 sq ft per bird. But, this is a minimum, intended to be enough to hopefully prevent pecking, feather picking and cannibalism. I think it can be safely assumed it's not enough for your group. JMO, of course.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by