CAT food for your chickens - YES or NO & why?

thwoody28

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 11, 2011
Wedowee, Alabama
Good morning,
I was reading on a post yesterday about some people giving their chickens cat food. Enlighten me on the pros and cons of the cat food. My chickens do not like big pellets so I'm thinking of maybe grinding some dry cat food up just to see if they will like it. If you have used cat food for your chickens, please let me know.
big_smile.png

hu.gif

I have read posts by those for and against. Protein is good, but too much fat (I think). Though I wouldn't give it to my chickens on a regular basis, I have tempted a sick chicken to eat with a spoonful of canned cat food. Also when they were molting, I tossed a small handfull of dried cat food (small pellets kibble type) into the coop for a little boost of protein. On both occasions they loved it with no ill affects.

Our laying pullets last year wouldn't eat pellets either. If we locked em in for a week they'd be forced to like it but we just went and purchased layer crumbles instead. Once winter was near over they took the transition better and we saved a lot of food waste. Cat food isn't blended for proper poultry nutrition. It's a great way to add a protein boost so people use it at times when that's needed but not as sole food.

I think the person who told me to give them cat food was well meaning but she told me they let the chickens munch off a deer carcass as well. I dunno i give ours the layer crumbles but they get also get loads of extra grass thrown in their pen outside and raspberries the kids are always feeding them.

I guess it would be up to you about what to feed them. I was feeding my girls layer crumbles and saw after while they weren't eating very much, so I went to pellets and they love it. My roos are still on crumbles and haven't had any problems. I have found that my dog has found cat food tasty but the vet has said that since my dog, Ms Daisy, has ventured into more of a selection of food it has made her gain 20 pounds too much. So I have had to place my 4 cats food up high, enough so Ms Daisy can't get to it, making it to where she can't even jump onto the platform. So cat food may be tasty and some added benefits in protein, but the weight gain may cause some of the hens to feel too heavy to walk and just sit around. Treats I have found are great, like rasins, apples without the seeds, watermelon, oatmeal, and list goes on. It maybe alittle more out of the pocket for these treats but there are more benefits that come with it. Good luck on the your decision.

In Story's GuideTo Raising Chickens Gail Damerow says some people use a high quality cat food to boost protein intake in chickens, but not to use it as an only food. They need chicken feed with 16-20 % protein based on their age. Cat food is usually 32-36 % I think.

I have to try out new cat foods on my cats since one has an 'issue' and we are working to see if we can find a food that works for him. Whatever the cats won't eat, I give to the chickens so it isn't wasted - but we're talking maybe 1/4 cup for 30 chickens so I am highly doubtful it will cause a problem. Also, my leghorns are always sneaking through the cat door and eating the barn cat food.
tongue.png

Cat food should only be used as a supplement and only when extra protien is needed. Small amounts of cheap dry catfood do the trick when moulting etc. Use it sparingly, like 3-4 morsels, 2-3 times a week, per bird. High concentrations of protien are not good and in some overdone cases will force a moult. Everything in moderation.........Pop

When I make a homemade flock block I add some dry cat food to it and they love picking it off. I just figured its extra protein, not enough to make them fat.

Back
Top Bottom