Cat food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Annichka, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Annichka

Annichka Out Of The Brooder

Jun 27, 2008
    I couldn't figure out why my cats kept whining at me as if I hadn't just fed them an hour ago. Or how they weren't becoming morbidly obese with the amount of food that kept disappearing from their bowls! (Poor things: I'm a vet technician and a little critical of their weight, so I wasn't about to overfeed them. After a few bouts of whining I stopped refilling the bowls. Little did I know...mea culpa!) About three days of this went by before I went out into the garage to find that the chickens had gotten in there and were feasting on dry cat kibble.

My cats are too afraid of the chickens to defend their dinner. I'm trying to figure out a way to blockade chickens and not cats, but until I do, is it going to hurt the chickens to eat dry cat food?

2. lovemychix

lovemychix Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 14, 2008
    Moulton Iowa
    I've actually heard that cat food is good for chickens!! protein

3. RickiHupp

RickiHupp Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Newark, Ohio
    My chickens do the same exact thing!! I will feed the chickens then come onto the porch to feed the cats and before I even get the cat food poured the chickens are up on the porch waiting!! Little brats, I now sit there shooing away the chickens so that my cats can eat!!

4. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    There is a thread on this forum somewhere on foods or treats that are ok and what is not ok for chickens but I am thinking i read it is not a good thing to give the chickens cat food except as a very occasional treat. I can't remember the reasoning for that but it is in the thread I believe.

5. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    Quote:Cat food is high in protien, good to feed as a treat when moulting.

It is also high in salt content and other things that you don't want to feed your chickens regularly, so you don't want to feed only cat food.

6. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    My ducks will form a lynchmob when i give dry dogfood to our dog outside. Poor lil milie fleur just pics at it but its too big for her.

7. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    Can you put your cat food up high enough that cats can get to it but the chickens can't jump up that high? I do that, but I take the exta precaution of blocking the chickens from the patio, where the cats are fed. Cats can get in, but not chickens-or at least they haven't figured out how to fly over the barrier yet.

8. peeboo

peeboo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    fort bragg nc
    lol,
    i live in a house right across the street from an abandoned cat filled house. the man comes by every day to feed them. lays food out all around the house and surrounding yards for them since there are so so so many. but as soon as i let my hens out in the morning, before i have a chance to even feed them they blitz by me and run across the street to rob the cats of their meal lol. i think they're plotting against my hens now. i can see them stalking at all hours. looking to get their food back the hard way. i can't believe they go ape for that stuff. goes to show...chickens, who knew?

9. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Mine steal the dog's food, the cat's food and the goat's food. Poor starving little creatures. Who knew that a 30 lb. feeder full of layer pellets, scratch and all the leftovers from the kitchen just wouldn't be enough.
    P.S. The cat's food dish is on a high window sill. They take turns flying up to knock it down.

10. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Now we know why the chicken crossed the road!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by