cat food

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by aubreynoramarie, Jul 3, 2010.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    so right now i have only two seven week old pullets. they are now spending their days in and out of the coop. is it okay to leave them a can of cat food as a treat before i go to work in the morning? is that too much for only two pullets? is cat food even alright for chicks???

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't think cat food is great for chickens, but my free rangers steal the cat's food if they get the least chance (and the sheep food, dog food, goat food etc.). Chickens are omnivores and opportunists, but they haven't heard of a healthy diet.

If you want to treat your birds it is better to give them poultry treats....mealworms, sunflower seeds etc.

sandie

3. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    the girls! any idea of what an e.e with a red and white body and grey head will look like as an adult? just a bonus question [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:hmm, i have thought often of finding them a buggy treat that wouldn't slink its way into the house, whats the best way of going about doing this?

5. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Cat food can be given, but because it has a high protien content it should not be given too often. Im not sure about wet cat food though, you can give them some, the whole can seems like a bit much though. [​IMG]

6. laughaha

laughaha Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    go and get a cordless hand vac and then go to the closest veggie garden or orchard and vacuum up as many japanese beetles as you can. Believe me, your girls will LOVE them. They are like potato chips for chickens and all you'll hear is happy talking chickies going crunch crunch crunch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by