cat food?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by abhaya, Nov 27, 2010.

1. abhaya

abhaya Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2010
    cookeville, tn
    2 of my pullets love cat food. I have cats that I feed in the barn and I have 2 chickens that I have to shoo away from the cat food every morning. Are they telling me something? They have layer pellets in the coop and free range all day. I give them a little scratch at night before they go into the coop. They get occasional treats but mostly pellets and free range. Should I be concerned about them eating cat food?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Cat food is OK as long as it isn't the only thing they eat. Keep it a treat. Mine make a beeline to the cat dishes first thing every morning.

Imp

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    As an occasional treat it's fine.

4. Thousand Oaks Family

Thousand Oaks Family Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2010
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    I have fed my cat food before to boost their protein and it would get them laying again.

5. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  6. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:If one is worried about Salt and Mycotoxin all you would have to do is feed a better Cat/ Dod food, one that is low Salt and contains no grains.

As a treat most types of Cat/ Dod food is OK. I would say the better of the two as a treat would be dog food just because they use a better grade of ingredients in dog food than cat food.

Chris

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  8. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I always have to put my cat food up when I let the chickens out in the morning! I didn't know it could be bad for them, it's just that my cat eats Iams, and that is just too expensive to ket the chickens get it![​IMG]

9. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    Quote:Just so that you know there is Methionine in all[/i] poultry feed.

ams.usda.gov :

Methionine is an essential amino acid necessary in poultry diets for proper cell growth and feather development.

Methionine is found naturally in foods such as red meat, fish, beans, and grains. Methionine is a protein-based amino acid which assists with metabolic function, breaks down fat, and is the primary source of sulfur in the body. As one of the compounds known as a lipotrophic, a fat burner or antioxidant, methionine is also critical for the removal of heavy metals, such as lead and mercury, from the body. Some of its other primary purposes include ensuring healthy liver, kidney, bladder and it is essential for muscle growth and energy.

As for the link https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart I my self wouldn't go by half of which is says, most of that stuff that is posted on there is only half true.

Chris​

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  10. Frannabelle

Frannabelle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2009
    MI
    I buy 9 lives tuna canned cat food for my cats, and in the winter give my chickens a can a week....
    they love it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by