rita2paul

Songster
8 Years
Aug 31, 2011
Gloucestershire
hi i live in England and have been reading about people giving their chickens cat food, can anyone tell me why as i have never heard of anyone doing this before.

dawg53

Humble
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Nov 27, 2008
Glen St Mary, Florida
Quote:Chickens love catfood, and pretty much everything else. Catfood is high in protein and in conjunction with regular 16-18% layer protein it can cause gout when the birds get older. It's best to stay with regular feed.

Lollipop

Songster
10 Years
Feb 12, 2009
Pike Co., GA & Palm Beach Co., FL
Quote:Chickens love catfood, and pretty much everything else. Catfood is high in protein and in conjunction with regular 16-18% layer protein it can cause gout when the birds get older. It's best to stay with regular feed.

This is true. If you feed too much protein when they`re growing, they can develope too fast and have bone/joint problems. If too much as adults, you can stress their bodies and force a molt, which causes even more stress than a regular molt. If too much when they`re old, gout may occure. Most cheap dry catfoods are around 30% protein. Two or 3 morsels a couple times a week will help during a molt, or when growing feathers, but most of the time, a balanced commercial diet is best.......Pop

Top Bottom