1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat got ahold of my 6 -8 week old silkie

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by czeck23, Mar 25, 2016.

1. czeck23

czeck23 New Egg

Mar 25, 2016
    My outdoor cat was doing great staying away from the chickens but I think the carnivore in her got the best of her this AM. Anyway, the hen was able to run back to the flock from where my cat brought her. I looked her over and just noticed one wound on/ near her ear. Either a claw mark or fang. When I put her with the others they seemed to peck at her wound. So I isolated her for the time being with food and water. I let them free range when I'm home and watching the Hawks etc. and coop them at night. Is there anything to do to stop them pecking at her wound?

2. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

Blu-Kote should prevent pecking. The most important thing right now is to treat the wound caused by the cat. Cats have very dangerous saliva to small animals and wounds caused by claws and teeth often become infected. Treat the area with neosporin and watch it carefully. I would also wrap it if possible. Pictures would be great. Good luck!

Regards,
    Leaf

3. czeck23

czeck23 New Egg

Mar 25, 2016
    Thanks! I picked some blue- kote up and let her rest for the rest of the day. It seems to have helped with the others pecking and she seems fine as well.

4. LeafBlade12345

LeafBlade12345 Chillin' With My Peeps

You're welcome! Oh, and :welcome Glad you joined our flock!

Regards,
    Leaf

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by