Cat got neutered today.....

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by BGcoop, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    My cat got neutered today, as I pet him his lower back feels like rice crispies (sub-cutaneous air for any medical folks). I didn’t notice it until after the vet office was closed. Does anyone know if this is normal after neutering? (I have only ever owned female dogs that have been fixed) he does move ok, but is still very sleepy and nauseous which the vet told me to expect.

2. Fishkeeper

Fishkeeper Songster

Oct 30, 2017
    Central Texas
    That's not normal at all, no. Was it like that before?
    I doubt it's an emergency situation, but 100% call the vet about it tomorrow. Neutering is an extremely localized surgery, it shouldn't affect anywhere else.

Love the chicken in your avatar! Ayam cemani?

3. MissChick@dee

[email protected] ~ Dreaming Of Springtime ~

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Sounds like a reaction of some type possibly from the anesthesia. It happens. But I’d call and ask. Emergency vets have someone 24/7. They should be able to answer your question. Massage may help break it up. Be sure to keep an eye on the color of his gums. If they get pale you’ve got a serious problem. Best wishes

4. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    They usually put them under at the vets. They use general anesthesia not a local. Or...that’s all I’ve ever been a part of. Never experienced a local given during neutering.

ChickNanny13 and BGcoop like this.
  5. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    No, I don’t recall it being like that previously, and would have expected the vet to notice a problem at the preop appointment.? I know any time surgery is done air “could” be introduced, but like stated, I also thought this was a pretty localized area to be working on. Needless to say, I will be watching him closely tonight!

(Yes my avatar is an Ayam cemani, that’s Black Betty)

townchicks and ChickNanny13 like this.
  6. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    Yeah, not local anesthetic, just a “localized” or specific area to be working on.

7. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    It’s probably not air. More like bumps-think rash/hives a reaction from the anesthesia. I’ve seen it before. It’s not common but it does/can happen. Very noticeable on a short coated animal like a jack russell type coat or boxer etc. or a smooth coated cat. it’s little welts in the skin. Do his gums have nice pink coloring.

townchicks, ChickNanny13 and BGcoop like this.
  8. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    :thumbsupBG .... I would still call. Your vet should have a answering service for after hours issues. They can pass the information onto your vet. The vet needs to know. And YOU need to know.

9. BGcoop

BGcoop Songster

Aug 5, 2018
    Yeah, I might give the emergency vets a call, but they have not always been helpful to me in the past...It seems sensitive to him, he squirms when I touch it. I don’t want to make him feel worse.:idunno

10. MissChick@dee

Aug 18, 2017
    Caliente Nevada
    Let us know what happens.
    Best wishes

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: