Cat having weird spasms???

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Rainstorm, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    My inside cat, EVERY night sometimes twice a ngiht, He'll be just fine then all of a sudden He'll fall over screeching, just laying their flopping around screeching, I noticed while hes doing this he seems to be trying to reach for his back near the end of his tail? it'll go on for maybe 5-10 seconds then he just stops jumps up licks the spot he was reaching for, and then hes back to normal, walking around, playing, etc w/e he was doing in the first place. its been going on for awhile now, I called the vet but those dumb ***'s dont know anything, Never replys, and your lucky to ever be able to talk to the vet first hand. Anyone know what this could be? seen it before? He never did it as a kitten it started only a couple months ago, hes 1 year old. he doesnt seem sick either, perfectly healthy, active, shiny coat.

[​IMG]

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits...

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Sounds like hes either in pain..or having a seizure. [​IMG]

3. Paganbird

Paganbird CrescentWood Farm

Apr 25, 2009
    Western Pa
    Did you check him to make sure he's ok... physically? Does he have any kind of swelling or rash at the area?
    My husband's cat was "crying" at his hind legs. After about a week, he started biting himself. We took him to the vet & they determined it was an allergic reaction. He had a rash creeping up his back end - very painful to him. We had him treated with cortisone shots. We determined that it was the new fabric softener we were using. (He likes to sleep on dryer-fresh warm laundry.) We stopped using the softner - he got better.
    That was about 8 years ago. He's 11 now and he hasn't done anything like that since then.
    Good luck with him.
    Oh, and it doesn't sound like feline seizures. When my cat has a seizure, she seems paralyzed - can't make a sound, just stiff jerking. Then it takes her a little while before she can get up & back to normal.

4. feather leg farms

feather leg farms Songster

Jun 25, 2009
    Salisbury, NC
    Sounds like a seizure to me.

5. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    is he allergic to fleas?, does he have any?

I had a cat who was BADLY alergic to flea bites, especially around her neck, they'd hide out under her collar, and she'd have welts where they bit her,she's scratch so hard that she'd pop the welts and CONTINUE to scratch the raw spot, making her cry, then she'd go on doing whatever.

we took her collar off and put her on a high strength cat flea med. and she was find after that.

6. Rainstorm

Rainstorm Songster

May 25, 2009
    Lake Placid FLorida
    Quote:Yes i checked him, hes fine physically, No rashs, No swelling, No bites, No bumps from flea bits,Nothing, (he does have a couple fleas but he never had any problem with it before) I havnt changed anything in the last several months that he had any allergic reaction to before either. it just started out of no where

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2009
  7. KotaDVM

KotaDVM In the Brooder

Mar 9, 2009
    Could be pin worms? The little buggers creep out of the animal's anus at night and deposits their eggs. Pin worms cause a lot of intense itching and may be the reason the cat is crying out. When your cat starts trying to bite at the rump in the middle of the night, use some scotch tape, packing tape, etc. and press it around his anus area to see if you catch any worms. They are white and extremely small.

That is also pretty gross that you are perfectly okay with your inside cat hosting fleas.

8. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground

Your cat is having seizures. I've heard of it before, you need to find a good vet. They can give the cat medication that will control them.

9. Ducklove334

Ducklove334 Off to another pond

Nov 4, 2008
    Virginia
    That is also pretty gross that you are perfectly okay with your inside cat hosting fleas.

how is it gross?

inside cats can have fleas,

WE carry fleas from OUTSIDE on our clothes.

ALL of our inside animals have fleas, but there is no where for them to lay their eggs because all of our floors are wood or tile.the inside critters get flea meds but they still get fleas [​IMG]

I certainly hope the kitty isn't having siezures, we have an old, blind, deaf dog that has siezures, but I've never seen her have them, only heard her.​

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009
  10. Soccer Mom

Soccer Mom Songster

May 5, 2009
    West of Crazy
    You need a better vet. I have an epileptic dog and you just described her symptoms perfectly. It is controllable through diet and medication.

My Australian Shepherd started having seizures when she was close to a year old. They told me that the epilepsy could cause brain damage and would likely shorten her life. She was 15 last December. And she is the BEST dog around poultry. She loves to lay there and "guard" the brooder in my dining room.

Find a new vet and they can help your kitty.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: