1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat in tree -- rescued!!! pics Post 14

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jtbrown, Aug 10, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Ok, we have a 2 year old orange tabby named Gary (think sponge bob - the kids named him). Gary leads life of luxury as an indoor cat with outdoor privileges. We saw him last night when chickens were free ranging, then he didn't come in last night, not the first time we have a covered porch, multiple barns, etc.

Tonight husband hears meow, the kids and husband follow it down ravine, and are looking brush thinking Gary got hung up in it. The 5 year old son looks up and say there he is, that cat is 50 feet up in a tall tree. Really? I was on way home from work and thought he can't be that high. He is husband; my tooK front end loader tractor down in ravine and put 20 foot extension ladder in bucket, doesn't even come close.

So, husband called FD they were nice but in ravine no way to get truck there and he said can't send guys up that high for a cat. We hope not! We aren't unreasonable and appreciate that they were nice about it. So, do we wait? Cut down or push down the tree? The cat is well loved by all, cannot believe he is being so stupid. The tree is tall and about 12 inches in diameter, the kind of scrub tree that has to grow tall and thin with no branches until canopy. Has one y in it 20 feet below canopy and that is where our feline friend is hanging out. When he comes down it is straight down, no real branches to stair step down.

It got dark, we cannot miss work for a cat, so as soon as husband is off work tomorrow will try to cut tree down.

Anyone have any ideas --- remember family pet and 5 and 6 year old little boys are praying their Gary makes it down okay. And will be watching said rescue. Did I mention he is good with our free ranging chickens? Thanks if anyone has any ideas.[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 12, 2011
  2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

From a three day long experience that mirrors this one, all things that go up must come down. The kitty is probably 1) frozen in fear and sees you and expects rescue or 2) Is messin with your head because that is what cats do. Gary will come down. No cat has ever died in a tree, and no college kid sucks his thumb.

3. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    So, do we wait?

Yes, you wait.

He got up there on his own, and he WILL get down on his own.

It won't hurt him to stay there a while​

4. Ema

Ema Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2010
    N. Ontario CANADA
    a few years back my husband looked up at the hydro pole and tadda...there was my lovely feline at the top of it complaining and looking for a way down. then that brought us back to when we lived in the city and had a stray cat that got spooked up the hydro pole. my dh tried everything to get that darn cat down but the more he tried the more dangerous it got for the cat so we decided to put a ladder against the pole and leave it. lo and behold the cat was nto there the next morning, it climbed down.

so this time we went for the ladder and left it against the pole and my cat happily climbed down on her own to reach the ladder and then came in the house. she has this thing for climbing trees and poles, she is nuts, loves heights!! trust me if the tree has limbs the cat will climb down in its own. if you have a ladder leave it by the tree. She will come down :)

Ema

5. northerngirl

northerngirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Medina
    Quote:I read a great quote that was almost the same thing, "No one has ever found a cat skeleton in a tree." Put a tin of something really stinky at the bottom and the allure/stench will bring him down.

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

I think if he got up there he can get down. [​IMG]

I've seen alot of cats "stuck" up a tree, but never seen a dead one in or under a tree....

jmho

7. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You could try a tree trimming service.

When the same thing happened to me, a local well known animal group recommended a cat in a tree rescue person.

Good luck

Hope your cat is OK.

Imp

8. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    Man, i'd be reeeal leary of cutting down that tree with him in it. It may kill him.

But i do have to say, maybe he REALLY cant get down? [​IMG]

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    So sorry to hear that JT! [​IMG] The cases where cats get up to a point where they will not come back down tend to involve kittens and primarily indoor cats not very experienced in climbing, especially if they tree themselves out of extreme fear (ie. being chased by another animal). There are cases where cats do either die in the tree, or fall out of the tree from exhaustion, injuring or killing themselves in the process, despite the old saying about cat skeletons in trees . Most vets can probably tell you stories about treating cats for dehydration or injury after being rescued, falling from, or even climbing down from a tree, so sometimes it is the results of being treed that are most worrisome even if the cat is eventually untreed. That said, it sounds like this is day one? Too early to panic, and you may very well find your cat comes down on his own, even from a great height. Cats tend to try to climb down head first when not experienced in climbing, and as the claws are not made to grip that direction this leads to slipping that can scare them from trying again. It can take some time for them to figure out that they need to come down butt first to come down more safely. Some do not figure this out, but many do.

What are the temperatures like there during the day? If very hot, you will have less of a safe time frame to work in before extreme confusion from heat and dehydration sets in complicating the process. Of course, this is your pet, and I can't say I wouldn't be getting my own cat out of a tree on the first day. Just saying, you do have some time here to try to better assess the situation. There have been cases of cats coming down on their own after ten days or even longer, but you know your cat best, your temperatures, the risk of injury of having a weakened cat try to climb down after a few days, risk of severe dehydration even if that cat successfully climbs down, etc.

As far as getting a cat out of a tree, some people have had success pulleying a basket up to the cat with fish or a strong smelling food in it, then lowering the basket with cat in tow. I think that the height will limit what your options are, but I sure hope you find something that works or a group or service (ie. the mentioned tree trimming service) that will help out.

10. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks for responses, I think he got spooked from coyotes or something to end up where he did. That being said we have seen him on top of barn and thought he couldn't get down and he made it. This is different, he is really up high. We both have to work, it has been a little over 24 hours, so we will try waiting today out. He is protected somewhat from sun, it will be in low 80s today, so I think we will be ok today, when we get off work tonight will try again. I am off work Friday so could deal with tree trimming service then if needed. I hope I am wrong, but I don't see him getting down from there, it is really high and an unfriendly tree to climb. We have an idea that involves cutting tree so it falls into stand of trees, hopefully leaning long enough so he could climb down. If we were cutting the tree for wood, we would have a difficult time dropping it due to the terrain. In other words, likely it wouldn't drop, and end up with a bunch of leaning trees. He is right at edge of pasture that has been cleared in past from pretty dense woods. Silly cat, Gary . . . .what are you doing?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by