Cat Kibble for Protein - what about dog food?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by newbyduckmom, Dec 1, 2011.

1. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    I have seen several people recommend cat kibble for an additional source of protein when molting. We have Purina One dog food (small bites). Would this likely work? It is Vibrant Maturity, so guess I should check the bag to see protein content etc? But was curious as to everyone's opinons.

2. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Dog kibble has bigger pieces, you might have to crush it up a bit.

3. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    This particular brand is actually about the size of cat food...we have small, spoiled dachshunds who don't like big dog food [​IMG]

4. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:I fed dog kibble to my ducks and chickens they had no trouble eating it.

5. HollyBird24

HollyBird24 Overrun With Chickens

Nov 10, 2011
    Manitoba, Canada
    Quote:Ahh, we have a german shephard so I imagine the kibble size is a bit different [​IMG]

Other then that, I don't see anything wrong with dog food.

6. trailchick

trailchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Cat food is 30% protien & that is why people use it. Dog food, is generally 20-21%.
    You can also get a gamebird feed which can go as high as 28%.
    There is a layer concentrate that is 38% for supplementing scratch grain.

7. newbyduckmom

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Our doggie kibble is 28 percent protein. So far the ducks are turning their beaks up at it...no surprise....picky ducks!

8. duckluck

duckluck Dulcimyrh Ducks

Oct 22, 2009
    Illinois
    We did use it as a base for different wildlife when I worked as a rehabber and I have used it for wild waterfowl, but I read somewhere that taurine, which cats need and is in almost any commercial cat food these days, is also beneficial to ducks. Having used both, I personally prefer the cat food. It does seem to make less mess when wet. I would think that given it often has fish meal as part of its ingredients that it would be the more similar to what ducks would get in a wild diet, since they do eat small fish.

9. RAREROO

RAREROO Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2009
    Alapaha, Ga
    You could also try floating catfish food too since it is also very high in protein and a small easy to eat size.

10. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    Mine seem to really like the cat kibble floated in their pool. I never give them that much though, maybe 1/2 cup for 7 ducks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by