1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat litter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by blkcloud1, Mar 14, 2013.

1. blkcloud1

blkcloud1 New Egg

May 18, 2011
    We are doing the 4h chicken chain again this year.. I noticed in the papers my daughter brought home it said to put 3 inches of cat litter in their brood box..?? we have always used newspaper.. is the litter ok? will it hurt them to eat it? thanks!

2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    yuck! it is dusty and I would not want them to eat it.

3. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Cat litter is a big NO-NO. The dust will mess up their lungs and eating it would be TERRIBLE, especially if it is the clumping kind! Who is giving out this advice?!

Even newspaper is not recommended. The fumes and toxins from the ink (especially when wet) can make them sick/kill them.

Wood shavings (pine, NOT cedar) or pellets, hay, stray, even puppy pads make nice bedding. For the first few days I just do paper towels.

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    That compressed paper pellet cat litter would be alright, just not the clay kind. Maybe that's what they mean? I don't think it would be very easy to clean little chick poos from though.
    If you're looking for ease of cleaning, sand and a reptile litter scoop is the way to go (it looks like mesh on a kitty litter scoop, to catch the small droppings).
    I, personally, use pine shavings and stir them around every few days. The ink on newspaper really is bad for any small critter (its not that great for you or your kids either). Good luck!
    Nikki

5. blkcloud1

blkcloud1 New Egg

May 18, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by