cat litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gaited horse, Aug 22, 2008.

1. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    i need a new cat litter what is your fav cat litter i need one that is cheap, not dusty, oder locking and multi cat straneth

2. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas
  3. sunnydee

sunnydee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2008
    Maine
    I swear by Tidy Cat..multi cat formula. I have two grown Maine Coon cats and have never smelled my cat box! It is scooped out everyday and cleaned every week.

4. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    I like the 9-lives clumping litter. I pick it up at the dollar store. I think it's under $5 for a container and providing I scoop it out everyday it lasts for two weeks without smelling bad. I have 3 indoor cats.
    I know, clumping litter can cause problems, but I have used this for a couple of years and haven't seen any problems from it.
    When I do change the box I dump it in a hole in my very long dirt/stone driveway.

5. PitterPaws

PitterPaws Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 29, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I just switched to the arm and hammer cat litter. It works great! I'll never go back to what my cats were using before. It's reasonably priced, very low dust, and clumping.

6. EllyMae

EllyMae Chillin' With My Peeps

Tidy cat has worked the best for me...it is a little more pricey than the others but I'll pay that to keep from smelling the kitty "toilet". UGH.

7. Anny

Anny Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Detroit Michigan
    I heard lots of good things about swheat scoop but when I tried it I was really disappointed.

For clay litters my favorite is Arm and Hammer super clump (or multi cat) it keep the order down, only has dust when you add more litter. And it clumps very hard.

I'm now using Papurr which is a more earth friendly litter, which is my from paper, and not clay. It still clumps like clay (maybe not as hard as Arm and Hammer but still very good) it comes in scented and unscented, I personally prefer the UNscented one.
    And since it's not clay it's 100% flushable and compostable. It cost a little more at the store, but last longer in the litter box, so I think the cost is about equal.

(I have two cats so the litter box is used alot)

8. lurky

lurky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Western MA
    I think you get what you pay for, so i think with cat litter 'cheap' is not a good idea. I think scoop away works well.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2008
  9. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] I use Tidy Cat for 2 cats , we use walmart brand in the 2nd box in the basement. Watch your kitties with the absorbing type, when our Teddy was a kitten, he would set his bum in to close to the litter and then he would wash it off. This can, not will, but can create digestive issues.
    It wasn't until much later years before we began to use it for them- he has urinary crystals, so we are happy with scooping, helps us keep better track of his urinary output.

The sweat litter caked and seems like I had pantry moths after using it for a good year.

Good luck on your decissions!

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    we use the BJs brand of multi cat litter. One box lasts us about 2.5 months. It works great. Great clumping and stink control. And, even though we only have the two boys inside right now... it's a darn good thing. Boy they stink!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by