Cat losing weight

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Aug 31, 2009.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    My 4 year old mutt cat seems to be losing weight. He has always been on the skinny side, but lately he just seems scrawny. He was at 11 lbs for years. The last vet visit (a month ago) he weighed 10 lbs. I swear he has lost weight since then.

The details-
    He is free fed dry food. There is always food in his bowl. He was eating Iams sensitive stomach, but has now decided that he doesn't like it. Now he and the others are eating Purina One salmon flavored. Once a day the three cats split a can of wet food. Max eats his fill but walks away before it is all gone. He doesn't act like he is hungry.

Until early in the summer he was the only indoor cat. About June the outdoor cats made the move to indoor only cats. Max is getting a lot more exercise now as he and Dodger play raucous games of tag. That could account for some of it for sure.

He likes to chew on plastic and ribbons. Of course I try to keep these things put up, but the sneaky little bugger finds the random plastic to gnaw on. Inevitably he throws up all over the floor. He's yacking about once every couple of weeks. He has done this for most of his adult life. It's not new.

He acts fine, plays fine, etc, etc. The vet said he was healthy. It's just that he looks skinnier. Perhaps it is my neurosis. I don't know. How do I fatten up my kitty?

Okay, I could have sworn I was in the pets section. I'm sorry mods. Will you please move this to the appropriate section. Thanks!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  2. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    Have you weighed him? This time of year cats coats are at their thinnest due to shedding. That could be making him look thinner.
    He could have picked up tapeworms. They usually don't show up in the fecal check. They will make his coat look dull and could cause a lack of appetite.
    The chewing on plastic could have something to do with it. Maybe he swallowed a piece that he couldn't hack up? He could have some kind of blockage from swallowing things he shouldn't be.
    Good Luck in figuring this out.

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Weight loss can also be a sign of diabetes in cats.

4. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    [​IMG] Sorry to hear that, Anne! My first thought was checking for worms, too, but if the vet said he's really healthy, I guess they would've thought of that. [​IMG]

5. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Hmmm... I wonder if she checked for worms. Max never, ever goes outside. Could he have gotten worms inside? His coat is shiny and healthy looking. Seriously, the vet said he was the picture of health when we were in before. I questioned her about the plastic chewing and she said that if he had a blockage he would be throwing everything back up. He's not doing that. He just scarfed back most of a can of wet food so I know he's eating.

I don't have a decent scale. I need to haul him back over to the vet office and use theirs again. ARGG. I get so freaked by the animals and their traumas.

I'll ask her to check the diabetes thing too.
    Thanks for the suggestions, y'all!

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    double post. Sorry. Weird things going on with my internet...

7. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    triple post? My computer is freaking out over here...

8. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    The website announcements said they're experiencing technical difficulties...

but you're just trying to run up your post count, aren't you? [​IMG]

9. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    If you have brought outdoor cats in they could have brought something with them. Have they all been tested for Feline Leukemia and Feline Aids? Have them tested for worms or worm everyone immediately. Have a blood test done to rule out diabetes.

10. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I can't offer anything that hasn't already been offered City. Just hope your kitty does okay. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by