1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat Lover's Corner

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by chickenbuddy, Dec 6, 2008.

1. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    Hey everybody! I wanted to start a thread we could talk about our cats, and cat topics.

I'm not sure how to start it off, but I'll start off saying I have seven cats.
    Their names are Garfield, Christina, Midnight, Jester, Amyl, Krinkle, and Briseis

They're all outside. Christina is probably the most friendly of all. We have a farm gate at the front of our driveway. When I drive up, she's always there to greet me. She will get on her hind legs to nuzzle her head in my hand.

Don't think the others aren't friendly; they're all very friendly.

Well, that's my summary about my cats.

Enjoy the thread!

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    How about some pictures? I've had cats in the past, but I do not have any now. My last cat I had, I would find him in the chicken pen all the time sleeping. I kept thinking the kids were putting him in there. But then one day, I saw him jump to the top of the gate and squeeze through the little opening between the top of the gate and the top of the pen. He liked sleeping with the chickies. His name was Kitten Kitten.

3. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    We moved into our farm with 4 cats. Within 24 hours, an additional 12 showed up to be fed. I was always the "cat person" in our marriage. I'd never had dogs. My wife was the opposite, never having had cats. She started me slowly by introducing me to Greyhounds, which are very cat-like in behavior. We've since moved on to border collies, but will always have a greyhound.

Our cats are part inside, but mostly outside, with the exception of 3 who just never want to go out. I like to bring them all in on stormy nights, and watch them fight for space next to our AGA.

We've lost some this year, either through illness or just disappearing (probably coyotes).

Names

Panda
    Livia
    Bean
    Felix
    Stripey Jack
    Bobbi
    Duke
    Man-Panda
    Freddy
    Cally

4. Samarai Jenn

Samarai Jenn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    My family has always had cats. Right now, we have 2, Mika, He's a siamese. And Snickers...Not quite sure what she is. Mika is almost 1, and Snickers is 7. He chases her around all day, and my kids think its hilarious.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have 6 housecats and probably 30 barn cats.

Chuck
    [​IMG]

Callie
    [​IMG]

Simon
    [​IMG]

Biddie & Mosley
    [​IMG]

Beastie Boy
    [​IMG]

6. snowydiamonds

snowydiamonds Chillin' With My Peeps

Mittens, Socksr's, Bobbin the bobtail, Tundra, Oscar de La Hoya, Trippy, Aric the Red,
    Mickey Mickey, Tuffitia, Merrique or Merrick, all indoor cats who go outside as they please in good weather. Winter, I only let a few outside for a short time. They are all neutered/spayed. It costs $200 per cat in our area to spay and neuter so many don't[​IMG] Cats are such wonderful company! Socksr's loves to help w/the chickens in the summer/fall, she's never tried to hurt them. (Having a frustrating time of trying to get my 'puter & photobucket to allow pics uploads the past two days!)
    Socksr's or Socksrelli:
    [​IMG]

Bob'n Bobtail (Socksr's nephew) Got him from the same lady we got Socksr's from.
    [​IMG]

Tundra bug
    [​IMG]

Trippy n Oscar aka Burly boy (Bob'n's son Oscar and adopted son Trippy)
    [​IMG]

Aric the Red
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  7. ole-crone

ole-crone Chillin' With My Peeps

We have 7 housecats.
    Blossom - 17 - adopted from humane society as a kitten. old and crotchety. She use to have quite the attitude, now she's just old and needy.
    Zoe - 13? - Psycho cat. Born here to our 'worldly' persian (Mavis) If anything is out of wack in the house - like I'm gone visiting family or in hospital, she freaks out and pees in the wierdest places. Other than that, most of the time she is quiet and you never notice her.
    Jack & Max - 10 - brothers - We found them in the ceiling of our root cellar. They were wild. One tamed down and is a human junkie (can't get enough of us) - the other avoids contact. Both run and hide at the sound of a female voice (the vet who neutered them was a woman)
    Lazarus - 3 - a friend asked me to help her bury a dead kitten. It was frozen to the cement on her patio. I thought I saw a glint of life in the eyes and we put the little body on a warm rice bag. Around 1/2 hour later, we noticed it was slightly breathing. He survived, thinks he's human and trained himself to use a toilet to go potty.
    Buckwheat - 1 - found as a kitten behind our fridge in the kitchen summer 2007.
    Lemony - 1 - found in our kitchen summer 2008 (we leave the back door open for the animals to come and go at will)

We might be getting another cat. We have loser neighbors whose bratty dog comes over to attack our chickens. It's been better since I told them the next time he's dead meat. They also have two cats. One is a Himalayan and gorgeous. I watched her walk across our yard today, acting like she owned the place. Dh grabbed his camera and started taking pictures, eventually she allowed him to pick her up. He came to me and said "She and Blossom have something in common - skin and bones."

Blossom is old and starting to loose weight - we know it is just a matter of time - so we watch what she eats and keep an eye on her.

He handed me this poor cat -she makes Blossom feel FAT! Absolutely skin and bones and dehydrated. Her long fur was full of burrs. Obviously no one has paid this cat any attention for a long time. We do not need another cat but even Dh didn't complain when I told our son to go get the old dog house and put it on the front porch and stock it with plenty of old blankets. We put out food and water. She doesn't appear to be sick but we'll keep her away from our cats if she decides to come stay in her cozy den. She looks more like they believe cats find their own food - and that she should be out mousing. I'm going to keep out some food and water so she'll have somewhere to come get some. Hopefully, she'll get some fat on her before the temps drop much more.

8. SunAngel

SunAngel Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Awww everyone has such pretty cats! Mine are rather plain, but lovable [​IMG]

We have 5 inside cats and one that lives outside now, due to being picked on by the inside crew.

The first 3 are our original cats from Maryland and the ones we have had the longest. We had one other one Bootsie, who lived to be 12, but we lost her 5 yrs ago (which is how Allie came to live with us).

10 yr old Tigger, the 25lb tomcat. We lost his battle with ear mites and he ended up with cauliflower ears. So now he looks funny, but we all still love him [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Blizzard is 7 yrs old. I believe she is a Siamese mix (has the attitude to prove it). I got her when she was 4 weeks old while visiting my cousin in Tennessee. She likes to get outside and murder little forest/yard creatures, so we try to keep her inside.
    [​IMG]

Allie is 5 yrs old. Not sure what she is, other than longhaired...maybe dilute tortoise? She is the quiet calm cat that got picked on inside and now lives mostly on our front porch. She disappeared for 3 weeks this Summer and showed up very skinny and near death. I nursed her back to health and now she is fluffy and normal again. She is my Chicken cat...always follows me out to feed the chickens and wants to come into the runs or coop with me. She has no interest in even the smallest chicks. She just sniffs them, watches and walks away. I think she guards them and is partly why I haven't had any predators yet in 7 months.
    [​IMG]

The next two are father and son. Their names are my childrens initials (all have MC for first and last initials with AEO as middles). We got the father soon after we moved to Pa. and then the mother (Abby), but she died soon after giving birth, due to mastitis.

Moeca, he is 4 yrs old now. Long pretty dark gray fur with silver fur closer to his body (is there a name for that color pattern?) He is a freaky cat sometimes. Usually he is extremely laid back, but at random times, if you accidently pet his stomach or mess with his tail, he will go from purring to attack mode, turn on you and tear the hell out of your hand and arm. He has gotten each of us at least once. He is my cat though and I love him to pieces.
    [​IMG]

Meaco is 2. He has the prettiest patterns in his fur and is a real sweetheart. He must take after his supersweet momma, no attack mode characteristics like his dad, thankfully.
    [​IMG]

Last, but not least...
    This is Mango. He is about 7 months old and an absolute sweetie. He was an unplanned addition. Some kid on our street came up to the house while only my sons were home and talked my older son into taking the kitten. My son couldn't/wouldn't say no and we didn't have the heart to take the kitten to pound.
    [​IMG]

I honestly have this feeling that Tigger won't be with us much longer and Mango was sent to us as his replacement. I am not usually a big believer in stuff like that, but I love orange tiger striped cats and I picked Tigger out myself. He has breathing issues, has survived the ear thing, a huge cyst on his side that broke open, he is overweight and lots of other weird problems at times. I just don't think his body will last too much longer...he is already over 10 yrs old. I guess thats why I couldn't get rid of Mango.

We are still on the lookout for at least 1 more cat. A bright/dark Calico (not the diluted kind, but the ones with bright white and dark orange, black, whatever spots). If I find a Calico it will be named Cameo (to keep the same initials thing as Moeca and Meaco).

One day I would dearly love a Himalayan kitten. I think that will be my retirement cat though. I will get a Himalayn kitten and a tiny Maltese puppy at the same time and raise them together.

Best laid plans though....I still have 3 kids (one of which is only 8) so I have a feeling there will be other animals and maybe cats here before the retirement scenario.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  9. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I love, love, LOVE my kitties. [​IMG] I have 4 house cats. They were all strays.....don't believe in getting animals unless they NEED me.

I have:
    Mathilda: a beautiful and perfect calico. She is my calmest cat. Kind of the mediator when the other girls get ugly with one another. She also loves to get in my oldest son's bed every night and "read" with him until he drifts off to sleep.
    [​IMG]

Lucy: Looks Siamese. Acts Siamese. Sounds Siamese. She is a beautiful and spoiled rotten little girl. My husband claims her as HIS cat. I call her Lucy Fur (Lucifer) to make him mad. LOL He says she can do no wrong. She eats cords.....phone chargers, TV cords, you name it. She always has a nasty attitude with the other cats. Sometimes she will just lay on the coffee table and slap the other cats as they walk by.
    [​IMG]

Petunia: She is MY girl. She is a gorgeous odd eyed (one gold one blue) calico. She hates everyone but me. Strangers she just hides and won't come out until they leave. The family she just bites and scratches if they get too close. [​IMG] Not me. The second I sit still she is on top of me loving me. We call her Tuna. My husband insists that is her problem, she is angry because she gets called a food product. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last is my sweet little Gem: Her name fits. She is an absolute gem of a cat. She is black and white with HUGE gold eyes that take up most of her tiny little face. She is so sweet...almost too sweet sometimes. Never hateful, gets along with all the other cats, isn't even too mean to the puppy. [​IMG] She purrs so loud the neighbors can probably hear her.
    [​IMG]

Well, that is my girls. [​IMG] Right now I also have a mother cat and kittens (three beautiful little boys) in my bathroom. Someone dropped the mom off at my house, pregnant. [​IMG] They are wonderful but I am not keeping any of them. [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  10. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I have 2 cats, Kitty and Bubby. Both are indoor/outdoor cats. We don't keep a litter box inside, so they are trained to go outside to do their business. I mention that because it seems to surprise so many people that cats are trainable...

When we first got chickens, I was very concerned about the cats. Particularly Kitty. She's the queen of the hunters. On the other hand, she's very well behaved, and you never have to tell her "No" more than once. So, as she watched the new (adult) chickens, I told her "No, Kitty, those are Momma's birds." It seemed to work. Then I got day old chicks, and brooded them in the house. When she heard them peeping, she would run away, presumably to remove herself from temptation. She is great friends with those pullets now, particularly the Andalusians, who like to play hide and seek and other chicken/cat games with her.

Here's Kitty:

[​IMG]

Bubby has viewed the chickens with great fascination since day 1. The broody hens have taught him caution, though. He has learned that pop doors are not in fact cat doors.

Here he is, with a couple of his little buddies:

[​IMG]

Since he's getting old, he doesn't play games with the chickens, but they do follow him around. Sometimes he has a little line of them walking behind him, just like the pied piper...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by