1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat Owners: What's your favorite Kitty Litter?

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by raroo, Oct 27, 2009.

1. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Right now I'm using Maxx Cat multiple cat household, and I think there could be a better one.
    I've tried silica sand, and flush-able... corn I think it was, not the wheat kind. I didn't like either. The silica doesn't clump, and the corn gets really stinky really fast even when cleaned daily.

Does anyone have some super, wonderful, clumping, odor barrier kitty litter ideas?
    [​IMG]

2. allanimals21

allanimals21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2009
    MN
    use Tidy Cat Scoopable Instant Action? I think thats what its called.

3. popcornpuppy

popcornpuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    Holland, Massachusetts
    I use pine pellets. I used pine shavings at first, and the cats had no problem with it. I switched to pellets because they last longer as cat litter and it's easier to se where the wet areas are. The pine has a nice smell and no chemicals or addatives. Cats are so particular about their litter and some don't like the change from gritty, sandy litter to shavings or pellets. It works for me, and hope this advice helps.

4. Joz

Joz Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    MidCity, New Orleans
    I love the pelleted newspaper litter, Yesterday's News (I think there's another brand also). It doesn't clump, but I use a thinner layer and just dump it all every (other) day. It doesn't smell like anything, dries everything out pretty well, and won't track all over the house. I have 2 cats, and if I can't dump it every day it makes it 2 or even 3 without smelling.

5. mullers3acers

mullers3acers Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 9, 2007
    la porte, In
    The cheapest.

6. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    "Woody Pet". I get it at 2 of our feed stores - about $8 for a 35 lb bag. You only need 2" deep and it smells like pine. As the pet urinates, it releases more pine smell and isn't easily tracked. I scoop the poops and flush them. The used litter makes a great mulch for NON-FOOD plants (shrubs and such). It is also used for stalls and any small pet cages. Totally safe, compressed wood. No adhesives etc. Everyone I've recommended it to has been happy with it!

7. Countrywife

Countrywife Corrupted by a Redneck

Aug 20, 2009
    Carolina
    the back field. Seriously, he won't go in the litter box in the house- begs to be let out like a dog. I like that in a cat.

8. raroo

raroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Vancouver, BC
    Quote:Hmmm, now that's an interesting concept. I like the idea of just dumping the whole thing every other day. How thin do you spread it? 1 inch? 1/2 inch?

9. KDbeads

KDbeads Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 20, 2009
    East Central VA
    Pine pellets hands down winner with 8 cats. I found a 40# bag of equine bedding that's just pine pellets..... for $8 at TS!!! Beats Feline Pine ($13 for a 10# bag) and the WalMart knock off ($7 for an 8# bag) and works the same. Plus the used pine dust (not the poo, just the urine soaked) can be spread along your fence to deter skunks. Haven't had a skunk in the yard since I started doing that. Hasn't helped with the moles like the locals claim but at least Gus isn't getting skunked anymore.

10. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I use Fresh Step scoopable cat litter. I have 6 indoor cats and cant smell their litter boxes..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by