Cat Peeing In the Middle of Kitchen Floor!

My very first move any time a cat is peeing outside of the litter box is a quick trip to the vet to check a urine sample for infection. Honestly, I firmly believe that a urinary tract infection is the number one medical reason that a cat would urinate in inappropriate spots and quite frankly I feel they are more common than purely behavioral reasons. I have only had one cat who ever urinated outside of the box that didn't have a medical reason, at least initially, and she was dealing with a major lifestyle change (new baby) and less than great litterbox upkeep while me and DH were also adjusting to this huge change. You need to see the vet about a possible UTI before you do anything else. Not only do you need to treat it promptly before it becomes a behavioral problem (cats with UTI's are painful and can develop an aversion to the litter box because they are painful when they are in it trying to pee and come to associate that location, litter, or box with pain). I did have one cat who had chronic urinary tract infections and while his urinary indiscretions started because of painful infections it got to the point where we had to retrain him to use the litterbox using medications and strict confinement to a large dog crate because they became behavioral.

My vote is for a UTI also. My bichon had one last year and she too would "pee an ocean" and then turn around and do it again an hour later. My MIL's dog was recently peeing in weird spots in the house I had to tell her for a week to take that dog to the vet. She kept blaming it on my dogs having come over for a visit (they have been over plenty of other times) then she blamed the fact that she has a ground hog under her shed and it must be in heat
idunno.gif
Not sure why that would make a 2 year old neutered dog suddenly forget it was housebroken.

Anyhow - she finally took him to the vet and it was a UTI.

Male cats get them all the time. I would have him checked out.

"......calling the breeder to come get him," unless a figure of speech to express frustration and therefore not literal, sounds like you might not have had him very long? Could he be stressed?

I am not that familiar with very unique breeds (assuming that if you bought from a breeder, it wasn't for a domestic short hair as there are bazillions of those that have bred without human supervision!). Might you have a special or unusual breed with a propensity for urinary issues?

Others have already covered what to do about possible UTI...

I hope this cat is able to be happy and well.

JJ

Back
Top Bottom