Cat problem!!!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Bird123, Aug 17, 2013.

1. Bird123

Bird123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    UK
    I woke up this morning to find a cat desperately trying to get into my quail cage - and unfortunately one had been struck through the bars.. but it scarpered before I got a good look. Then it was back again half an hour later stalking my ducks. These are large ducks and a drake!!! It freaked them out enough for them to be on edge all day. I have seen this cat around my property a lot recently but it hasn't caused to much of a problem before. I just don't know what to do about it.. these animals have all been out for months with no problems from any pests. I was ready for expanding my brood with some silkies - but definitely not until this is sorted out! I don't know what to do - or rather what I can do about this...

2. MuckyPuppy

MuckyPuppy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I don't know where in the UK you are but in England cats have the right to roam. For example, a teacher at my youngest childrens' primary school was clawed in the face by a three legged cat that she was trying to move out of the play area and when the school called the council they said that there was nothing they could do as cats had the right to roam. I believe the owner has agreed to keep the cat indoors during school hours. So I think your best bet would be to make it realise that it doesn't like hanging out at your house. I think squirting it with water is still allowable and there are electronic cat scarers on the market that may help. I have a cat scarer that I haven't used in a while but I am planning on trying it out as our neighbor's cats like dropping in on our chickens. I don't know if the chickens will be able to hear it but my kids say that they can and it is very irritating. Maybe I can use it to keep the kids out of areas I don't want them in. [​IMG] I hope you can find a solution that works for you.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  3. Bird123

Bird123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    UK
    Yeah I'd thought of a cat scared but unfortunately I have a cat.. haha! I agree cats should have the right to roam (it would be almost impossible to keep ours indoors) however I am begining to wonder if it is feral, as it is almost always around my animals. I don't want to hurt it as I would be devestated if someone hurt or stressed my cat out because it was acting on its instincts. But like you said, I need a way to make it clear it is not welcome. I tried putting my cat out with the ducks this afternoon and I haven't seen the cat since so fingers crossed it has got the message. I feel pushed into a corner with this one - I don't want anyone involved getting hurt!

4. Bird123

Bird123 New Egg

Aug 15, 2013
    UK
    I can also hear those cat scarers - they are very annoying! I can imagine why they work on cats :)

5. animals1981

animals1981 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Toronto
    just feed it and it will stop, give it cat food make it a pet

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by