cat problems!!!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by lcw, Jan 12, 2010.

1. lcw

lcw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    ok my sister has this cat named callie. the only cat she has ever known before is blade. every chance blade gets he attacks callie. she has a kennel that she stays in most of the day because of what he does.shes fixed and everything but he stays around and attacks her. he came when she wasnt fixed and thought if we got her fixed he would go away. hes a stray. why is he still here. what is making him stay. well a few days ago my cousin brought a cat named ruby to live on the farm. well callie hates her. she hisses and growls and doesnt want anything to do with her. callie knows ruby isint blade but since blade is the only cat she has ever known she doesnt know that ruby wont hurt her. callie is a little more tolerant of her because she knows it not blade but still doesnt like her. how can i get callie to like her? any help would be greatly appreciated.. thanks. cole.

2. treeclimber233

treeclimber233 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2007
    Time is the only thing that will help this problem. First, Blade does not know that Callie is fixed. He has staked out a territory that Callie is now living in. He is hanging around waiting for her to come into heat. Second,Callie has now claimed the area also as her territory. She is not happy to have another cat in her territory (Ruby). As long as there is plenty of food for them they will eventually learn to live together (crossing fingers behind back)

3. thebritt

thebritt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2009
    Humboldt County
    It can take months before new pets come to accept each other. Try to make Callie feel as safe as possible. Maybe she could have her own room for awhile, and let her out when the other cats aren't around. Slow introductions are the most succesful when they don't hit it off right away. We have 6 cats, all aquired at different times, and that's what's worked for us. Some of mine like some and dislike others. We have a bully cat too, and while none of the others (except his sister) like him, they all tolerate each other.
    Good luck!

4. lcw

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    well she is out in the kennel with ruby right now. so well see by morning how things went. cross your fingers. i hope it all goes well.
    i wish blade would go away. hes so mean. he got his name bc he bit me!!!! bit a hole through my finger.

5. lovesduckies

lovesduckies Bedroom Farm Inc.

Jan 11, 2010
    the ducky room
    it's been years and i have cats that still don't get along. we have a female who hates all animals. other cats, my ducks, my bunny, and even my turtle. so i wish you luck but don't be upset if it never happens. animals are as unpredictable as humans. you never know.

6. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

If Blade is a stray and has bitten you and fights with your cat you could trap him and have animal control pick him up. I've had stray and feral tom cats get very nasty with my spayed females, bitting them and causing abcesses. Also, if Ruby is not spayed he will surely stick around and fight with other male cats attracted by her.

7. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    With cats you have to go SLOW. Are these cats in the house at all? I would start by confining the newcomer so the other cats can get used to her. Then let them meet through a fence or grate. Each step should take a few weeks. Letting them meet a couple times through a fence won't help, it needs to be really slow.

If they're outside only, then I guess I'd let them work it out themselves. If any of them (including Blade) aren't fixed, they need to be, and make sure they all have rabies shots.

8. rooster0209

rooster0209 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2008
    North Dakota
    The cat drama here continues on at my farm. Tigger & Barney were the first cats here. BB & Stinker came along and they hate Tigger. Tigger runs from BB but will chase Stinker. Then came PC, he gets along with everyone except BB. Then came Lizzy; she is hated by all the girls. The first thing she did when she came here was smack BB. If I could record all the drama, it would make a great movie. Barney gets along with everyone.

It sounds like Blade needs to be neutered to calm him down. Chances are the females will never be friends but they will learn to tolerate each other and keep a safe distance. I have several cat boxes in the barn, in diffent places so each can have their space. I have noticed that during the colder nights the ladies seem to get along better than normally.

Good luck, spay and neuter and vaccinate!

9. lcw

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    Quote: ok i would love to do that. i really wish i could but my step grandpa(poppy) loves blade and thinks if they dont work things out them selfs then oh well. they live outside. i plan on gettin ruby fixed when i start getting some money from my cochin bantams once i start breeding selling and hatching them. blade is poppys cat and he doesnt really care if hes fixed or not. hes not as big of a softy as i am.

10. lcw

Jan 6, 2010
    southern ohio
    Quote: well shoot. i agreed to get the other cat so callie has someone to be friends with since blade is mean to her. darnit. well like you said hopefully they will tolerate eachother.
    i went outside to see ruby after i got home from school and blade walked over and started huffing or snorting the air sort of. i dont know if he was smelling her or he was scared or what was going on but i thought that was kind of weird. lol. what does that mean?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by