Cat question

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Knock Kneed Hen, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    I adopted a cat a year ago that had tested positive for feline leukemia. I haven't had a cat in years. She occasionally throws up some bile. Is this normal? I know long haired cats will throw up hair balls. My girl is a short haired sweetheart.
    [​IMG]

2. la dee da

la dee da Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2008
    Virginia
    I never knew a cat that didn't spit up from time to time...and I've only known short haired cats!

3. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    Quote:X2 - I have five cats, long and short hair, indoor outdoor, and they are always upchucking somewhere

4. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    If it is not happening often (maybe once a week or so, -ish) I would not particularly worry about it, cats do that from time to time. Or if a meal has been delayed.

If it is happening more than a couple times a week, though, or if you are particularly wanting to stay on top of any possible problems that may develop, you could take her in to the vet for an exam and a blood panel. Kidney or liver or thyroid problems (among a other things) can have recurrent between- or before-meals vomiting as a symptom. From what you say though it does not sound frequent enough that it would concern me much.

Good luck, bless you for giving a FeLV-positive cat a good home,

Pat

5. Knock Kneed Hen

Knock Kneed Hen California Dream'in Chickens

Feb 15, 2010
    So. Cal.
    Thanks everyone. I want to be on top of things in case she takes a turn for the worse. . . but mostly I try not to think about it and just give her love. Sounds like normal cat behavior so I can stop obsessing about it! [​IMG]

6. jerseygirl1

jerseygirl1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2009
    Orange County, NY
    If it makes you feel better, my girlfriend had a leukemia positive cat that lived for 11 years - she had her PTS when she couldn't walk anymore, but it came suddenly

7. BC Gal

BC Gal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 8, 2010
    Try giving her catnip; it is great for cat's stomach and digestion. The fresh plant is best, otherwise buy it at an herbal store (not the pet store). It does make cats act goofy, but that is from the smell. Eating it is good for them [​IMG]

8. crtrlovr

crtrlovr Still chillin' with my peeps

ditto on what Pat said! [​IMG]

9. SallyF

SallyF Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2009
    Middle Tennessee
    I've currently got four cats, have had up to six. As someone posted earlier, they are always upchucking something, somewhere. However, I noticed a few months ago that someone was throwing up a lurid green fluid; couldn't figure out which one it was. Then one started acting strange, not eating, etc. We ended up at the vet and found he had a severe case of pancreatitis. Unfortunately he didn't make it. So just watch for that color.

10. DTOWNGIRL

DTOWNGIRL Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2009
    We had a cat with FL, too. He lived a good, long life! Bless you for taking this handsome kitty in! We have a cat who throws up if he eats too fast, one who throws up because he licks EVERYTHING and of course the hairball routine!!! Unless the vomiting is constant or has a strong odor or weird color, it is probably fine. My vet says, as long as they are eating and drinking it's probably not much... Just keep an eye out for weight loss...that is a bad sign!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by