Cat/s with uti

Jaymez

In the Brooder
Jan 17, 2021
Oregon
Hi, so awhile back I switched to pretty litter and found that one possibility more of my cats have a uti. First I tried at home remedies hoping the uti just started and I could get rid of it at home but that's not the case. Just today I also found a drip and small puddle of urine outside the litter box so I suspect it may be starting to worsen. Now I have 7 cats and I'm not sure who may or may not have a uti. 3 cats are indoor, 1 in and outdoor, and 4 barn cats. If it comes to it I can take turns locking them in a cage with water and the pretty litter one by one and finding out who has a uti, except for one of my barn cats. One of my barn cats is a stray I was able to befriend but it's still very timid and I wouldn't be able to safely do that. Since I have so many cats I wouldn't be able to get the typical antibiotics for them all unless I took each one to the vet and got testing for them and that would end up ridiculously expensive. There are a lot of non prescription antibiotics for other animals or for mutli animal use that I could get at the farm store though and I was wondering if there was any that would work for cats uti. If not I think I will try HomeoPet uti for cats for a week, switch all the litter and see how the litter looks. In the end if I must I can lock all the cats up and see who but if there are other antibiotic options that would work or if the HomeoPet would work then I would prefer to try those options first. So if anyone knows of any antibiotics that could work instead or if you have experience with HomeoPet please let me know.

I hope you can figure out who has the UTI(s). I had a mom cat and four of her offspring, at least one of whom had similar issues; there were numerous bloody puddles. One boy who clearly had a UTI, and he went to the vet.

Since they all ate together, I ended up feeding a ridiculously expensive specialized cat food to help prevent new infections for Marco Polo. However, since I never again spotted blood, I guess it was worth the cost. My vet suggested that since all of the cats were related, it's possible they were all more inclined to get UTI's.

Best wishes for getting things resolved.

If the suspected UTI is a male, you definitely need to get him to a vet ASAP. They can block very easily vs females and it can become a life threatening situation very quickly.
We lost our first cat to repeat blockages and our current boy has the same problem, so we stay ever vigilant for UTIs.
A few things you can look for short of locking everybody up... watch behavior closely. Restlessness and straining are tell tale signs, as is increased licking of the genital area (you can sometimes see evidence of licking/swelling even if you don't catch them in the act)

Sure hope you've already had luck resolving this problem... sorry I didn't see your post sooner!

If the suspected UTI is a male, you definitely need to get him to a vet ASAP. They can block very easily vs females and it can become a life threatening situation very quickly.
We lost our first cat to repeat blockages and our current boy has the same problem, so we stay ever vigilant for UTIs.
A few things you can look for short of locking everybody up... watch behavior closely. Restlessness and straining are tell tale signs, as is increased licking of the genital area (you can sometimes see evidence of licking/swelling even if you don't catch them in the act)

Sure hope you've already had luck resolving this problem... sorry I didn't see your post sooner!
We are still working on it and we are trying a medicine. The only odd thing is that other than the pretty litter I haven't seen any of my cats showing behavioral signs at all.

In addition to a urinary diet specific food, my vet gave us Welactin to put on his food as a kidney support supplement. He's done great with that so far, it even cleared up what I thought was the start of a UTI... might be worth looking into.
Sorry I don't have any advice on antibiotics.
Hope you get things resolved!

We are still working on it and we are trying a medicine. The only odd thing is that other than the pretty litter I haven't seen any of my cats showing behavioral signs at all.
Weird that you're not seeing any other signs. Maybe its the indoor/outdoor cat? They can be very good at hiding illness.
One other thing that's always a tip off for me is the change in litterbox smell. This may not apply to you if you have an unaltered male, but when our neutered male starts having a problem, the litter box smell goes from the normal "gross" to "omg feral tom cat" (if that makes any sense)

Back
Top Bottom