Cat scared my Hens away.

Murphalias

In the Brooder
May 5, 2021
So a little over a week ago the neighbors cat got into my yard which is protected by a privacy fence. My Hens we're roaming around the yard as usual. I walked out and noticed feathers all over the place and the cat had 2 of my 7 cornered. The rest were nowhere to be found. My dog chased the cat out of the yard. ( I helped my neighbor get him out of a tree behind my fence 24 hours later he must have stayed up there the entire time)

About an hour after the incident I had one girl come back. She was roaming around the fence. However, the 4 still MIA haven't showed in over a week. I have a feeling they got away as I had a few feathers outside of the fence and the cat was in a tree for an entire day. We had a few snow storms since then and some 5-10 degree F weather. I've left the fence gate cracked so they can walk in. Is there still a chance they will come back? How long can they possibly go without food/water?

the 4 still MIA haven't showed in over a week....How long can they possibly go without food/water?
After a week with no food or water, they would be dead.

But a week of foraging for themselves might be fine (especially if they were "foraging" at someone's bird feeder or dog food dish.)

If they were going to come home, it would most likely have happened in the first few days, unless someone else caught them and cared for them.

I would go ask at each house in the area, because someone may have seen the chickens out in the cold and taken them into a garage or house.

But if no person has caught the chickens yet, I think they are probably gone for good.

I have a feeling they got away as I had a few feathers outside of the fence and the cat was in a tree for an entire day.
They probably got away from that cat, but they may have been eaten by some other animal (fox, raccoon, hawk, owl, etc.)

I agree, ask the neighbors. I had a bird that got out of her pen and hid from me. I searched for days. I did find some eggs in the barn but couldn't find her, then no more eggs so I'm assuming a fox or probably a coyote I have been seeing got her. Hopefully some neighbors have them. Good luck...

Back
Top Bottom