Cat seems to care less about the flock

Big Doggie

Songster
Mar 23, 2020
Mass
I have made an especially safe and sturdy coop and run. So I know this cat has no chance of getting one of my hens. But it doesn’t even seem interested. It lays on the ground about 2 feet from the run and just watches and eventually moves away. I would expect it to at least try to terrorize the hens by clawing the hardware cloth. Funny thing is that the 7 week old chicks could care less too! They run around, scratch, and flap around.
Is this common?

Our barn cat used to lay on top of the brooder Screened top with new chicks. Definitely interested when younger. Now doesn’t seem to care. However, once this cat jumped out of the barn window right into the end of the run!! The cat (still under 1 year) didn’t know what to do! Was crouched trying to see an escape. The chickens were curious and were sort of closing in on the cat! So, before the rooster decided it was a foe, I went in and rescued her.

I have made an especially safe and sturdy coop and run. So I know this cat has no chance of getting one of my hens. But it doesn’t even seem interested. It lays on the ground about 2 feet from the run and just watches and eventually moves away. I would expect it to at least try to terrorize the hens by clawing the hardware cloth. Funny thing is that the 7 week old chicks could care less too! They run around, scratch, and flap around.
Is this common?
I have 2 feral cats and they have been around newly hatched and all aged chickens. They just don't bother the chicks or the hens or roos in fact the chickens will run them away from their catfood. I have to wait till late afternoon when the chickens go in to feed the cats. And these cats will run off a possum. But that may not be the case with other cats. I carried newly hatched chickens to my grand daughter's just to let her see them.. I knew not to trust their cat and was very protective of them. But somehow as I told them bye he came out of no where and got 3 in the blink of an eye. Killed them.

Back
Top Bottom