Cat sneezing blood!

patnjess

Songster
9 Years
Apr 2, 2010
My cat has been sneezing a few days. But othewise normal. Well I noticed all this brownish red stuff allover the kidssink. So i washed it. This am i found the same stuff all over my sink. and she was laying there (she is not suppose to be on counters). our toothbrushes are there too. and the kids were she sneezed before.
I'm taking her to the vet now, I'm worried about the cat, but I'm more worried about my family, what if its contagious to humans? great just great.

You can almost certainly relax on your family's behalf, I can't offhand think of anything respiratory that cats get that humans can also get (other than some plain ol' bacterial infections, nothign that would cause sneezing blood). If you're super worried, just buy new toothbrushes
wink.png

You do want to take the cat to the vet, though, b/c while it's *possible* it's just harmless nosebleeds, you want to make sure it's not something problematic, as growths etc can cause that too.

Best of luck,

Pat

My Fagin was an outdoor barn cat that I won over with tuna treats.
smile.png
He and his brother both suffered from ongoing respiratory issues- sneezing, coughing, gunky noses. The weather got bad so I brought them in the house. They continued to sneeze. One day I caught Fagin sneezing blood. Back to the vet we went. After a couple of rounds of antibiotics later, he is fine. Well... I also moved him permanently into the house. Turns out he had a respiratory infection and allergies that kept feeding on each other. His air passages were so inflamed that they had rubbed raw with all the sneezing and coughing. Thus the blood. Poor kitty.

All of that to say, I never caught the respiratory problem. With some vet care and a move inside, Fagin recovered completely and is living a happy cat life.

Good luck!

Cats get URI's that are sort of like kennel cough in dogs and they are very contagious to other cats. Get the cat to the vet and get it on some antibiotics right away.

well we are back! They checked herand did blood work etc, and she has a bad upper respitory infection. and of course doesn't feel well, that is why she is laying all these weird places. She is on kitty augmentin and will recover.
Found a great place, the humanitarians, $30 exam fee, and to pay for meds but that was it. Love Dr's that love animals so much they donate their time, God bless them!

Back
Top Bottom