Cat spraying on my coop!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by theotherside, May 12, 2010.

1. theotherside

theotherside New Egg

Apr 30, 2010
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I have a neighbor cat that is spraying on my coop. I work hard to keep my coop from smelling and this is not helping. The cat is obviously not fixed and in addition to marking 'my territory' it is courting neighborhood female cats. I feel strongly that responsible cat owners should spay/neuter or keep their pets inside. This world does not need any more unwanted kittens, and I don't need the funk. Does anyone have any advice? My best two solutions so far involve the neighbors not having a cat anymore.

2. Damummis

Damummis Chickenista

Apr 29, 2009
    Mid-Coast
    NATURE'S MIRACLE!!!!!

You need an enzyme to kill the smell.

As for the cat....................
    I agree with you.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  3. SarahBeth9394

SarahBeth9394 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2008
    Either a dog or a bb gun will keep the cat away. I'll pitch a handful of acorns at the neighborhood tomcat. Or trap and relocate.

4. chicks4kids

chicks4kids Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    Northern Indiana
    Nothing worse than cat urine smell IMO. Sounds like you just need to take it away somewhere. They obviously don't care enough to get the darn thing fixed...so they obviously don't care enough about it period....

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You can try Critter Ridder (sp?)...sprinkle around the outside of the coop, especially where the cat has been spraying...

6. Quillgirl

Quillgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2009
    Metro Atlanta
    Have you considered having it neutered? We've done that many times with neighbor cats. They let their kitties roam, then they take the risk of their tom coming back de-nuttered.

I know it's not your responsibility, but it's beyond annoying to have kittens on property, to have cat fights, and to have pee around. It's easier than cajoling your neighbor, and it is sometimes free of cost, depending on your area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by