Cat Stalking Chickens Sleeping! (story)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Jayecookie, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    I was sleeping, everything was locked up when my two dogs (Stella Black Golden-doodle Left in profile pic, Riley Shichon Right in pic) started barking. I ignored then and went beck to sleep. Eventually they would stop then start back up again. The fourth time they began barking I sat up in my half sleep, dazed state, and thought to myself, there has to be a reason they are barking. The thought Possum and Raccoon zoomed my brain awake and I (16) jumped from my loft bed to find them staring at the sliding glass door. There i saw a white with grayish-brown spotted cat sitting and stalking my 8 chicks (about 6 week barred rocks). I was amazed because a cat never crossed my mind as something i need to protect my chickens from. I live in an urban setting and thats definitely not my cat. So how did it get in my backyard? I opened the sliding glass door to reveal my vicious beasts. The cat quickly ran up my fence and tight roped it out of view. That was that and I praise good girls.

2. imnukensc

imnukensc Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2017
    SC Midlands
    It likely got in your backyard the same way it got out. Cats have a pretty good climbing gear.

3. Jayecookie

Jayecookie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 15, 2017
    Cooper City, Florida
    yes i agree. it was a very cute cat

4. Cats are never anything to worry about..Its other Predators that are a real problem..

5. Zoomie

Zoomie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2015
    Mora, NM USA
    Well... cats can sure kill chicks no problem. I used to have a cat that could and did take down a full-grown chicken. Some of them are very good hunters, some not, just like some people are really good singers and some not so much. I would not say they are nothing to worry about, even though many cats aren't such a problem, but fully agree that something like a raccoon (or a dog) can be far worse.

chickens really likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by