1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

cat stuck in tree .. nope not a joke

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by pinkwindsong, May 9, 2011.

1. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    hi everyone.. there is an adult cat stuck in a tree on the proerty right behind my chicken run.. it is on the neighbors property ( not the nicest of guys. in face he scares the hell out of me) Im afraid to ask him . he'd probably just shoot him.. problem solved...
    this poor kitty has been up there for 3 full days today is the 4th.. how can I get him down before he dies of dehydration... he's not mine but every time i go out to my chickens ( which is often throughout the day) he just cries and cries... i tried to coax him and he takes a couple of steps and then back up to to the crox of the tree...

[​IMG] any ideas please I cant just let the little guy die or someone shoot him.. im sure he got run up the tree by big dog or coyotes...

)O(
    Pink

2. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    You could always do 911 for the cat in the tree. Or just go on his property climb into the tree and grab the kitten before it jumps out on its own.

3. KlaHaYa Gardens

KlaHaYa Gardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Quote:??? Really??? In some parts of the country, people are put on hold when they call 9-1-1.

@OP, May I suggest instead, that if you are unable to help the cat yourself, try calling animal control.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I wouldn't call 911 but you could call a local shelter, animal control, or police if you don't want to sneak on to the property alone. If the tree is really close to the property line they might be able to rescue the cat by going through your property and not have to tell the guy. Otherwise they would probably have to get his permission. I suppose you could always say he isn't home.

5. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I had to go through a local shelter. They gave me the name & number of a climber who does cat rescue.
    Cost me $75 for him to come out, and the cat was too scared to be caught. Took a 40 foot tumble & a trip to the vet, but things worked out OK in the end.

Imp

6. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    How high up are we talking? If not too high, had to coax a cat down as far as she would go once. Then, had husband help me catch her in a sheet after (gently as possible) making her lose her balance with a very long handled tool, essentially pushing her out of the tree and into the taunt enough to not hit the ground sheet. Can a ladder reach?

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  7. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    Discard comment, thought op was the on who called climber, and cat was down. Good luck!

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  8. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    Actually if you were to call 911 they would probably connect you with animal control (I'm not sure the folk at 911 would regard this as an emergency despite the cat's dire situation).

I remember way back when I was a kid my cat got stuck in a tree and we climbed part way up on a latter and held up a sturdy cardboard box for him to jump into. But you should not do this with out help or if there is no place to securely place the latter.

In other words it is probably safer to call animal control.

9. pinkwindsong

pinkwindsong Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    Laurens SC
    Quote:its a stray cat .. thought about using a ladder but my luck id get up there and the cat would freak and slice me up.... Im not even sure if a ladder would reach, might need a ladder in the back of a tree.. this cat is wayyy on up there..

I guess ill wait till dinner time and if it hasn't figured its way done Ill call or have my mom call ( yeah Im 44 years old and yeah the guy still scares me.. silly I know) hes soo intimidating.. no think Ill call animal control... let them talk to him and get the cat down.. wonder if they will?

)O(
    Pink

10. Matthew3590

Matthew3590 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    Middle, TN
    I think it would be against their duties as animal control to not save a starving and dehydrated kitten stuck in a tree.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by