Cat stuck in tree

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by ronikins, Jul 18, 2011.

1. ronikins

ronikins Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Well, this is a first for me. I have a 7 y/o dsh black kitty stuck up 40 feet in a tree. He's been there for 2.5 days now. We've tried climbing up to him but I got too scared at the top of the ladder and it wasn't nearly high enough to reach him. I've tried tempting him with his favorite wet food. We tried the water hose but it only scared him up higher. I tried throwing tennis balls but I throw like a girl [​IMG] My husband tried throwing a rope up to the limb he was on so we could send up a carrier with food in it to get him down via "cat elevator" but my husband throws like a girl too [​IMG]

Our vet suggested calling the electric company to sweet talk them into coming out with a bucket truck. So I had to wait til this morning. They didn't even laugh at me!! The very nice foreman came out to take a look earlier. He said he could send out a bucket truck this afternoon on one condition, he can only do it once. He won't come out again. I guess we'll deal with that if and when that day comes. I'm just thrilled that they're gonna help me!! Bless their hearts!

Poor fella is sooo thirsty. He just keeps meowing and looking at me like "Mama, why don't you come get me down??" I worry so much with this heat too. At least he's in the shade though.

So wish me and my kitty, Mousie, good luck! [​IMG]

On a side note, I had a broody hatch 6 eggs last night! Loving all the fluffy faces poking out from under her [​IMG]

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

In my experience, most cats will figure out how to get down, once they get hungry enough. Of course, there are always exceptions! Sounds like you have a VERY nice electric company. I can't picture Dominion sending a truck out for a cat stuck in a tree, although I guess our local electric co-operative might.

Good luck!

3. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Yep, that's what just about everyone has told me. But I would think at nearly 3 days of no food and water, he'd want to come down pretty bad. I keep thinking he'll get weak and just fall out before coming down on his own. He isn't even TRYING to come down. I've tempted him with his favorite wet food and it hasn't helped at all. He just licks his lips and pants.

I love our electric co. They are so helpful and FAST with responses to outages and any problems. I just hope hope hope they can help me.

4. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    I tried throwing tennis balls but I throw like a girl My husband tried throwing a rope up to the limb he was on so we could send up a carrier with food in it to get him down via "cat elevator" but my husband throws like a girl too

[​IMG]

Poor silly kitty! [​IMG] he gets down!​

5. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Well, the electric co guys came out. They set up and started raising the bucket. As soon as they started coming towards kitty, he bolted. The noise and sight of the bucket freaked him out. He ended up climbing down about 20 feet then jumped the other 20 feet.

[​IMG] Why couldn't you do that to begin with, you silly cat!!????

[​IMG]
    He's in that nest. He slept there both nights....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And here are the new ones. I hope the broodies are done.....

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 18, 2011
  6. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Is he okay with that 20 foot jump?

Hope so.

Very nice electric company.

I would think hoses and throwing things would only serve to scare him and make him go higher.

Any which way sliced, it's not an easy situation.

I'm glad it seems to have worked out in the end. [​IMG]

JJ

7. ronikins

Apr 18, 2010
    SW Missouri (Ozarks)
    Oh sorry, he's doin just fine. He was at the backdoor before the guys even left. He ran in, ate a can of wet food, ran to the potty, and has been glued to my dresser since. He feels skinny a little. I'm thinking he's lost a pound or two.

Other than that, no broken bones, just broken egos....

8. jjthink

jjthink Overrun With Chickens

Jan 17, 2007
    New Jersey
    Awwwwwwwwwwwww, poor baby [​IMG]
    Glad he's okay [​IMG]
    JJ

9. bock

bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2008
    Northern CA
    Glad he is okay! I was worried this morning, one of our cats jumped off the railing on the balcony and landed in the gravel. He looked like his paw was hurt at first, but he is back to his normal, crazy self now. He never seems to learn, he has fallen/jumped off 2 or 3 times before, but that was before we put up the railing. Silly cats! [​IMG]

10. maple

maple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    [​IMG] glad the kitty is ok

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by