1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Cat terrified of chicks!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by aimee, Mar 5, 2007.

1. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    I have four cats. Two don't care about the chicks, one just looks at the side of the rubbermaid container they are in. The fourth one is totally terrified of the chicks. It's the funniest thing ever. Everyonce in a while, he'll get brave enough to look over the edge at them but if one of them starts to run around, the cat freaks out, runs and hides.

2. fosterchick

fosterchick Chillin' With My Peeps

My cat in 12 years old. we have had chickens for a couple of years. She tried to get one of the hens this summer. Well the rooster went after her (didn't hurt her), Now the cat will lay still when the chickens come up to her. You can tell she is afraid to move. We think that it's so funny that the rooster not only controls the hens but the cat too.

3. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    aimee, too funny. We have a couple cats that move out of the way when a chicken walks by. It's no wonder chickens and cats can run free together on the farm.

bigzio

4. Blisschick

Blisschick not rusty

Feb 20, 2007
    Shepherd, Texas
    I have several outside cats, and I have to keep my chickens penned when they're fed, or they'll run all the cats off and steal their food!

I have only one cat that makes it a point to terrorize my BBR OEGB...she never hurts him, but likes to mess with his little mind and get him squawking. Other than that, my cats actually avoid the chickens.

5. aimee

aimee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2007
    Lake WaConDa, NE
    I can see the cat being afriad of full grown chicken, but these are just a few day old chicks. But I guess the cat's lucky, he's an indoor cat so once the chicks go outside he won't see them anymore.

6. Hotwings

Hotwings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2007
    southwestern Michigan
    Denise's rooster Jack soon put her two new barn kitties in their place, he pecked them on the head. Jack also considers them part of his family. My dog Dodge(who get along fine with the chickens) was playing with the kitty, he was chasing it. Jack would have none of that and went after my dog(who was taken by surprise and ran the other way) then Jack went over and pecked the kitty on the head! Denise thought rats were eating their cat food she leaves out. Turn out that Jack and the hens were eating it! She didn't know at the time chickens love dry cat food. Her house cat was once scared off by some wild turkeys that gobbled her way.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by