Cat with urinary issue - any ideas? Update #2 pg 3

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by jtbrown, Sep 19, 2011.

1. jtbrown

jtbrown Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    This cat was previously not a problem. She is just 3 years old. We had a dog who over drank all of the animal water due to diabetes and the cat ended up with fever and bloody urine as well as peeing all over the house. So dog ended up on insulin and died pretty quickly. [​IMG]. In meantime, on labor day took cat to emergency vet and they gave her fluids, treated with long acting antibiotic. did a bladder tap and said no stones or crystals in urine.$$$ but she is our pet.

She seemed to improve. Then blood returned before antibiotic should have worn off. So took her back to our vet who suggested it was spasm and put her on prednisone and added clindamycin She is on a taper (2.5 MG) prednisone daily now and I JUST caught her backing up to a box and peeing blood. What do I do?

She has claws but has never lived outside, but we cannot have this peeing. Any ideas? Anyone with similar? I guess instead of working on chicken coop can work on kitty coop for front porch this weekend. I cannot have this peeing everywhere . . . .[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 14, 2011
  2. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    there is obviously somthing very wrong here that the vets are jsut not takeing care of. is she spayed?
    if she is not spayed she may have pyometra which is an infection of the uteris (i think). 2 of my female cats got this and nearly died had to be spayed to save them an antibiotics DONT WORK they NEED to have surgery to have the infected uteris removed otherwise it can burst and they can die. it usually happens after the femlaes is done with her heat cycle but symptoms dont show themselves for a few weeks.
    what i would do is see another vet bring up the possability of pyometra (if shes not spayed) becuase a cat should never ver pee blood unless there a serious problem

3. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    She is spayed, we got her spayed as soon as we were able well under a year. Never have had her in heat or anything.

4. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

id build her temporary housing box... or get a dog crate, put a hammock for her to sleep in, along with litter box, food and water. Like you see them do at the vets office when they have kittens to adopt out... I wouldn't put her outside in a kitty coop... Once the infection, and spasms clear up, she should be fine. To clean the smell and damage on the carpeting use the NEW Woolite solution you can get to rid the carpet of the stain and smell. It really does work. The bissel stain and stink in the pet dept at the store works really great too. Even on old smells...

If you have a natures market type store, they should also have a natural dietary supplement for pets that will help with urinary tract kidney support... kinda like like we do with cranberry juice, only for cats or dogs depending.

Hope she gets better soon.

I lost a cat to that... I had to put him down, because we thought the crystals were cleared up... then he ended up with both negative and positive crystals, which is very unusual to have at the same time... I loved that cat. Was the meanest fixed tom on the block. Front claws out and fixed... But he was KING.

5. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Forgot to add she had CBC and metabolic panel done on labor day too, all fine.

6. watchdogps

watchdogps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2011
    Central Ohio
    PAIN MEDS!!! Ever had a UTI yourself? IT HURTS!! She is avoiding the litterbox because cats associate wher bad things happen. She may need to learn that the litterbox doesnt hurt anymore. Ask the vet for some metacam or other pain relief for her. I dont know if cats can take something like uristat, but that stuff works like a dream. It also makes your pee the color of iodine though which would be really bad for your house if she opts not to use the box..
    In the meantime, I would confine her to a small non carpeted area, a large dog crate or something and ask the vet for pain meds till her little pee-er feels better.

7. NovaAman

NovaAman Overrun With Chickens

Thats true. We have a cat now who got bit by a spider in the litter box... took him a few day to temp it again. he would whine to be let out the back door in the yard to go... he started using his box again when a thunderstorm scared the poo out of him...

8. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would also suggest changing her food to one that especially made for urinary tract issues. Females are more prone to them than males.

9. xchairity_casex

xchairity_casex Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2011
    its hard for me to belive there were no crystals found in her urine while shes showing symptoms of pain urinating shouldnt hurt unless theres crystals which makes me think you should get a second vets opinion

10. jtbrown

Mar 30, 2011
    Southeastern Ohio
    Thanks, at least for tonight, will let it be, but I converted our dog crates to brooders this spring, looks like tomorrow reconverting dog crate/brooder to cat habitat. am glad am scheduled off tomorrow.

I have had multiple pets all my life, this has been one heck of a pet month or so for our family, really frustrating when you try to do the right thing for them and it still doesn't go right. I appreciate the input. I am thankful for answers, never participated on a forum before this one and am so glad this group is so willing to pitch in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by