cat!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by OCD, May 12, 2010.

1. OCD

OCD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    Sooooo, my cat can't seem to leave my babies alone. Am I doomed?? I tried to introduce them as friendly friends; but his instincts seem to be too much for him to handle!! Any suggestions??[​IMG]

2. StormyMoon

StormyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2010
    Alvarado, TX
    I don't know, I showed the chicks to my cat also and the cat screamed and ran away......so her new name is chicken now. lol
    Sorry I couldnt be of better help............

Good luck!

3. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    I would keep the babies away from kitty. Once they get older, there shouldn't be a problem. My cats give all the grown chickens a wide berth!

4. OCD

OCD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2010
    Bay Area
    Thanks, Friends.
    I figured they would all be ok once they are bigger than him...lol....if he can keep his paws away that long!

5. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    I have 5 cats that all live in the house and while they watch the wild birds outside the window and make wierd little squeaky noises, they ignore my chicks. Not that I would trust them, but I think it has something to do with them growing up with birds living in cages, 2 parakeets. I even found my cats sleeping on top of the cage I was using as a brooder. Once the chickens are grown I think that my cats would be completly intimidated, but I have read about chickens being attacked by cats. It is just their instinct to chase birds, no matter the size. And I think that more the cats hunt, the more they will chase your birds. My cats have never hunted for a thing in their lives, accept for a place in the sun.

6. chick4chicks

chick4chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2008
    N.E. Pa.
    I have an outside cat and the neighborhood cats come around they don't bother the adult chickens and my brooder is in the house in a locked room. LOL. not taking any chances. Good luck.

7. watersoflethe

watersoflethe Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Corona/Mira Loma CA
    me 2
    i keep my cats out of the brooder room
    my cats love following the full grown ones around but they protect themselves and flap at them which makes my cats run away. [​IMG]
    but i just can't trust them with the chicks..
    especially the coturnix chicks...those are like 6 gulps and all of them would be gone... [​IMG]
    i would just separate as far as possible [​IMG]

8. fastpat

fastpat Chillin' With My Peeps

We have three cats here, they're inside/outside cats and one of them is a master hunter who kills anything he can get his paws on. The female hunts but I've never seen her catch anything, and the second male is interested but can't seem to figure out what to do with any he catches, so they get away.

None of my cats have access to my chicks which are now 6.5 weeks old. It won't be too much longer before they're safe, but they aren't now.

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    When it comes to pets, cats are not nearly as domesticated as dogs. Their instincts to survive are highly primative. When your chickens are grown, they will most likely put the cats in their place, but even then; don't trust them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by