Cat???

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Brandon97, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Brandon97

Brandon97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    Hey it's brandon!
    so today i bought a cat ( she is tame and calm, scared of dogs and quite lazy MOST of the day, until about 10pm and then she went into crazy hyper active playful mood), but i didnt think about the chickens, how are cats with them? will she attack them? Its ok in the coop because it is electrified, but what about when they free range? Ive heard feral cats are massive dangers, but what about a domestic tabby? please help!!!
    Thanks in advance
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Brandon, Have you gotta good big rooster? If you do, he will educate a cat real quick! If not, hopefully the EF will

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I have feral, stray and house cats. All are ambivalent or wary of chickens. None pose any danger. Even my recent chicks were not messed with. The cats were more interested in the heat lamp.

Imp- It has rarely been posted that cats pose a danger.

4. K8tieCat

K8tieCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    Northern California
    Quote:Agree.

5. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    Thanks guys, that relaxes me a bit now!!!
    [​IMG]

6. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    We got rid of our big RIR rooster, but we have silkies, modern game and 8 wk old crosses between RIR and Isa Brown! are they ok??

7. chickengrl

chickengrl Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    My cats have never bothered the chickens, not even the calico who is obsessed with wild birds. You should be fine. [​IMG]

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

I think they would be fine, but be cautious until you know for sure. Silkies, games and pullets could look inviting, to a aggressive cat. Once the pullets are grown, I think they'd put a cat in its place.

Imp

9. Brandon97

Jun 1, 2011
    Newport, Wales, UK.
    I have silkie, modern game, light sussex, barnevelder, rhondda blue, rumpless game, Isa brown, RIR X Isa brown hens/pullets, and Silkie, modern game and RIR X Isa brown roosters.
    [​IMG]

10. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've watched Tweety and sylvestor too much. I don't trust a cat with a small bird. Ever watched a cat when they spot a songbird or caged bird?
    Look into a big roo at least for temporary

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by