Catahoula Peeing Inside

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by DucksAndGardens, Nov 3, 2015.

1. DucksAndGardens

DucksAndGardens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2015
    Probably a long shot but I wondered if anyone might have a suggestion on a problem I'm having.

I have a 4 year old, intact, male Catahoula Leopard Dog that has started marking in the house when I'm gone. Everyone's first response has been to neuter him but he's NALC registered and I don't really want to have him neutered. He's never shown any aggression or marked until just recently.

I think it's possibly stress related because he used to have a dog sitter, the next door neighbor, that would spend time with him and my other 2 catahoulas every day but a few weeks ago the neighbor left his girlfriend and moved out so they don't get to see him everyday. The week the guy was packing, Raleigh, the problem child, marked in their house for the first time ever. The guy moved out but every time he's come back to see the dogs and take them for walk, Raleigh pees on something in my house. He only does it when I'm not home. They have a dog door so they can come and go so it's not like he has to hold it and can't. The vet cleared him of any bladder infections.

First he peed on the vacuum cleaner (My $500 Kirby!), then he peed on the bird cage. Then he peed on a grocery bag that was on the kitchen floor. Then he peed on a giant roll of aluminum foil I had standing in the corner. Then he peed on a pillow that was on the dog bed, and last he peed on my LEATHER BOOTS! He only does it when I'm not home.

Short of gluing his weenie shut I'm at my wits end.

Anyone have any suggestions? I thought about telling their dog walker to not come back but they seem to really enjoy going for runs twice a week when I'm at work. But this peeing on my things has to stop.

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Will he tolerate being crated while you are away? It probably would not be necessary on a permanent basis - just long enough for him to be re programed. I agree with you on not neutering him - I doubt that the fact that he is intact is part of the equation.

3. DucksAndGardens

Mar 31, 2015
    I actually have an outdoor dog kennel with a dog house that I could put him in but I suspect he might bark his fool head off since the other two would be free. I don't think he's even been in the kennel other than to sniff around and see what's in there. I built it for my first Catahoula that used it maybe a week before the neighbor began "stealing" my puppy every day while I was at work.

4. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    It appears that it may be a form of separation anxiety. It started when his 'friend' left and now it is continuing when you leave.

5. DucksAndGardens

Mar 31, 2015
    I suppose it could be. But he's been left before without the neighbor home and he's never peed like this. Of course the dog door is newly installed so they didn't have to stay outside in the cold and rain and they could go sleep on my bed whenever they wanted. But at this point they are all going to be locked out and have to sit in the dog house while I'm gone if they keep this up.

6. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    If the vet cleared him of any bladder infections (which is usually my first suggestion) then I would also second the crating idea. You don't even have to crate him if you can block him off in an easy to clean area (like a kitchen or bathroom) with baby gates. Some people like this idea better than crating. I do think confining him to a smaller area may help the issue.

In my experience, male dogs can be tough. I'm not sure I would jump to neutering him as an answer. It may not solve the issue at all if it is due to something else. I agree with sour land that it may have to do with some anxiety.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2015
  7. Tumbling K

Tumbling K Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2015
    Texas
    IMO, crating a breed like a catahoula, will create more problems.

very active breed, that needs a job.

8. DucksAndGardens

Mar 31, 2015
    He does have a job, he's to watch the yard and protect the ducks which my three do quite well. I may end up just closing the dog door so they can't go in the house. It just means when they get cold they will have to use the dog house instead of being able to curl up in my nice warm bed.

9. Skylercarr

Skylercarr Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2015
    Before you leave the house let him outside to go to the bathroom. Then take away his food and water when your not there so he doesn't pee.

10. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I think this may be your best bet. It may not take that long, either, before you can let them back in.

Oh man, the leather boots [​IMG]

Too bad there's not a shock type collar you can rig to go off when he lifts his leg.......although it would probably make him squirt all over the place!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by