Catalana-d'uccle???

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by jtbeckett, May 23, 2010.

1. jtbeckett

jtbeckett Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    I got this hen a couple of days ago from an ad in craigslist... random stray chicken, been living in people's backyards in a neighborhood for a few months... none of them wanted it, and I miss having a chicken (used to have a pet rhode island as a kid... she was very sweet and loving... but she was the only chicken we had at the time) Last house she stayed at said she doesn't lay eggs and she'd been in their yard for nearly 2 months straight.

Anyhow... this one's a bantam, and she was flighty when I went to go get her... had mites, so I got her treated for that right away, made her a nest for the shed, until I can get a proper raised coop for her.

Here's a picture of her... you cant see the black markings on her tail here, but I assure you the tail looks exactly like a catalana... you can definately see her face and feet here, though... http://pics.livejournal.com/jtbeckett/pic/0002c5dk

She's
    very docile now, she laid an egg within 12 hours of moving to our house... and laid another one within 24 hours of the first... she seems to like snuggling, but she pecked my dog on the nose, so he won't go in the shed anymore... which is fine with me. She hasn't pecked the cat yet, but she looks at him like he's crazy when he grazes next to her. (he's an indoor cat, but sometimes gets supervised backyard vacations)

Anyhow... I was just curious if anyone here could tell me what breed (or cross-breed) this chicken is.

Last edited: May 23, 2010
  2. nzpouter

nzpouter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2009
    new zealand
    looks like d'uccle cochin cross to me....

3. jtbeckett

May 23, 2010
    thank you! Now I'll go look up a cochin :)

4. kswaterfowl

kswaterfowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2009
    Greencastle, IN
    She's a neat little hen. Actually looks a lot like a Faverolle, just the wrong color. How many toes does she have on each foot?

5. NYCmadness

NYCmadness Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    she looks like a Faverolles mix to me. Feathered legs, beard, the color is not perfect. the face is also not perfect. Does she lay cream-colored eggs?

6. Goose and Fig

Goose and Fig Grateful Geese

Apr 19, 2009
    Fall Creek Falls TN
    Yes- I could go either way with the above theories. Very cute! The cochin part would explain the cuddling. My girls are so sweet like that too.

7. jtbeckett

May 23, 2010
    Her eggs are light tan... I'll have to count her toes tomorrow... never thought to look, and it's hard to see them with all the feathers on her feet.

8. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Oh, she is pretty. How nice of you to take her.

9. jtbeckett

May 23, 2010
    Three toes in front, one in back... she has really cute toes [​IMG]

10. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    looks like either a buff d'uccle or a d'uccle cochin cross. to my knowledge there are no catalana bantams so if it were a catalana it would not fit that easy into a single hand.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by