Cataracts?

KsKingBee

Free Ranging
10 Years
Sep 29, 2013
The Scenic Flint Hills of Kansas
I have a Peach Silver Pied two-year-old cock that I suspect has cataracts. He seems to not react to my hand on one side and when I moved him to another pen he had some trouble finding the food bowl. He has never roosted on a perch so I wonder if he has a depth perception problem.

There is only one tiny white spot on each eye right in the middle of the pupil. Don't look at the lice drinking at the eye, he has been treated with Ivermec for that when we took the pics. We caught every bird yesterday and treated everyone as well as checking bands, trimmed beaks, etc. We think we will run him to the vet this week.

Crud, isn't there a blindness issue in peach?
barnie.gif
I gotta go search old threads... I had forgotten about it. Might be over on UPA & my membership has lapsed.

Last edited:
Yes there is, i hatched an Emu chick last month which looked like this, i knew since he hatched that he will get problems seeing properly and that's what happens.

I have a Peach Silver Pied two-year-old cock that I suspect has cataracts. He seems to not react to my hand on one side and when I moved him to another pen he had some trouble finding the food bowl. He has never roosted on a perch so I wonder if he has a depth perception problem.

There is only one tiny white spot on each eye right in the middle of the pupil. Don't look at the lice drinking at the eye, he has been treated with Ivermec for that when we took the pics. We caught every bird yesterday and treated everyone as well as checking bands, trimmed beaks, etc. We think we will run him to the vet this week.

Okay, I found one of the old threads and bumped it. I am so sorry.
he.gif

Read this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/559096/is-he-a-cameo-or-peach-he-has-gone-blind-already

Last edited:
Sorry about the eyes...

Let me know if the ivermectin works for the lice. I tried it on chickens, but it didn't work.

-Kathy

Sorry about the eyes...

Let me know if the ivermectin works for the lice. I tried it on chickens, but it didn't work.

-Kathy

Worked overnight! Had the vet look for them and she found none. Here is a pic of the other eye yesterday when we used the Ivermec.

I will post what the vet found later this evening when I have more time.

Since most Vets don't raise peafowls i think its important to explain to them that some peafowl colors has genetics issues, i remember someone here asked me once about his peacock going blind, i asked what color he is? The guy asked what has the peacock color to do with this? I explained some colors has genetics issues and will go blind sometimes, he didn't believe me and kept visiting vets for a cure, nothing works after that. Later i found it was a charcoal peacock, and that's why he goes blind!

Edited: When i said here, i meant in my country.

Last edited:
The vet said he is blind. Her opinion is that he has been that way for a long time and is perhaps the reason he has never gotten up on a roost. The cloudy opaque spot on the lens only allows for a bit of peripheral vision in one eye. The other does not seem to work at all.

sad.png
he.gif

Kudos for noticing & figuring it out. Did the vet have any opinion as to why? Are there any obvious possibilities other than the genetic one?

I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom