Catawba Coop

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by jdawg, Nov 5, 2009.

1. jdawg

jdawg New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Ga
    Does anyone have experience with the A-Frame type Catawba coops?

2. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I made one. Whats your question

3. AmyBella

AmyBella Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    Western MA
    My DH made one for us. I really like it. I move it every day by myself so the girls can have fresh pasture... I'm not particularly strong. It has served us well so far. I am really nervous about wintering them in it, but it would be perfect for Georgia where the winters are mild.

4. harrisville chicken

harrisville chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2009
    Northern Utah
    We bought one from a local guy who bought the plans and sold them locally. Ours turned out to be too small for our Easter Eggers, just right for our Bantams. The EE's preferred to sleep on top, it was just too cramped for them inside.
    So, we made a larger coop (see my BYC page) for all of them. I've since noticed that our Catawba has a leak when it rains, you may want to carefully watch yours for a leak.
    Our girls are allowed to free range in our backyard, so we never moved ours around much, it was just easier to open the door and let them run free in the day.

5. jdawg

jdawg New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Ga
    Thanks for the info everybody. I just have a EE and a PR right now so maybe they would be happy in one.

6. lauriruth

lauriruth Chillin' With My Peeps

I BUILT ONE! Never built anything before. neighbor helped, TG! i didn't get the wheels, so i'm having a hard time moving it, especially if the ground is moist. but have already begun building #2! it's too small for my 4 girls. they're 11 wks. old and already too big for it. when i'm home, they roam the yard, but i haven't felt comfortable leaving them out when i'm at work. the catawba would be great for use as a "hospital", or brooder in warm climates. i have to take the sides off (HEAVY) to move it and still it's quite a job for one 62 yr. old woman. i'm building a "walk in coop" this time!cleaning the "downstairs" is difficult.

7. jdawg

jdawg New Egg

Oct 27, 2009
    Gainesville, Ga
    Thanks for the reply. I have almost finished just got to do the ends. I see these type are very common in Ireland. They must have smalol chickens. We just have 1 easter egger and one ply rock. We were thinking on getting some type of Bantam chicks in the spring. I am new to all this, but thinking already that maybe i should have built something closer to easy clean's Coupe de Ville. what do you think about it?

8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    JMHO but I think you will be happier in the long run with a "real" coop. Preferably a walk-in if you can manage it. I had a "crawl and reach-in" type of arrangement the first year and hated it. A lightweight tractor is nice for the day to get them on pasture, but a fixed coop is so much more secure and easy to care for.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by