Catawba tractor extension/addition ideas?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by patman75, Sep 4, 2009.

1. patman75

patman75 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have drastically under estimated the how addicting chickens can be and have quickly realized that I need more chickens. 4 hens are not cutting it. [​IMG] I WANT MORE!!! [​IMG]

On the way to work I was thinking that I needed a bigger chicken tractor, but I hated to just get rid of my Catawba ark/tractor after just one summer/fall. I put a good chunk of money and time into this tractor, I like the way it looks, allows for safe free ranging and it keeps the girls safe while I am at work. But is is just not big enough if I am to get more chickens. [​IMG]

Then it hit me, some sort of run extension that I can mount to the tractor and take off easily while moving it. The current roost should be big enought to hold 8 large birds. I could always remove the next boxes and make it part of the roost for more space and put the nest boxes in the new extension part.

Since the extension does not have the weight of the panels and roost it could be a good size and light enough to move around easily.

What do you guys think?

Do you have any ideas or have done anything similar?

2. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Hey there, delighted to read more from another Catawba coop devotee. [​IMG]

Before I found the plans for the Catawba, I picked up a book just called Chicken Coops, I think, that showed a coop called the Little Red Hen House or something like that. Made that, and designed a detachable run to go with it that I bet would work with the Catawba too. Let's see if I still have that pic uploaded on here...

[​IMG]

It was tall enough for me to walk in (although not standing up straight), lightweight, and easy to construct as I just used hardware cloth held in place by washers and screws. I moved and sold the coop and run before I got around to actually building some way to connect the run to the coop, but you get the idea.

Hope this helps! Would love to see pics of your Catawba too, by the way.

3. patman75

That is a neat way of doing it. I was thinking of a extenstion off on the ends... but that would work too. Thanks for the picture

here is a picture of my Catawba tractor

[​IMG]

4. kristenm1975

kristenm1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    It looks like you modified the doors there. Are those hooks at the top or hinges? I've been thinking it might be nice to find a way to hinge those doors so that they don't get knocked off by rascally raccoons, as I have experienced difficulty with so far.

5. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    This is the run I made to fit up against my dog house turned banty coop/tractor.

I move them separately eight feet every morning (the length of the run).

Good luck with yours.

[​IMG]

6. patman75

Quote:I added 3 hooks to each side to prevent raccoon from popping off the sides, I saw a youtube video of someone who had done that and while building the coop it seemed way too easy to pop a side off since they are just held on by gravity on the ledge on the inside of the coop. I have had raccons try to get my chickens and they have all failed and 4 are taking long dirt naps now.

I thinking a run extension will be easy to make and then add some hardward to secure it to the tractor.

Sweet Cheeks, I like the door you have on top of the extension. It would make it easier to get the food and water then to crawl or bend down. How many chickens do you you have in your tractor?

7. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    I only have three little banties in there. 1 black silkie pullet, 1 black cochin pullet, and 1 buff silkie roo.

My original plan was to put the opening to the run on the end but changed my mind because I didn't want to have to crawl in. So glad I put the hinged top. It makes it easier to visit with the girls. The cochin always flies up to the edge when I open the lid. I have to lift the black silkie up as she doesn't fly well enough to make it up. The roo doesn't like to visit.

I also have a spare piece of plywood covering the hardware cloth on the other top originally for shade when we were having record highs and now to keep the rain off.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by