catawbacoop or other A-Frame style with an attic, how to clean?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kellykungfu, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kellykungfu

kellykungfu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Hi Everyone,

Glad to be part of this website. Was wondering for the catawbacoops type of design or any other A-Frame style of coop, how do you clean the attic? If its mainly made with 2x2 with some sort of plywood, you can't really hose it down or disinfect it right? Do chickens not poop up there because they know they sleep there? If not, do you need to line the floor in the attic with wood shavings?

Thanks in advance. Have a great day and God bless.

-kelly

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    You don't need to hose or disinfect coops except under unusual circumstances; you just put bedding in which you clean out as needed and replace with fresh stuff.

Chickens do about half their daily poop *where* they sleep (i.e. under the roost) (which is why you want a roost, not having them just sleep on the ground, if it can be managed at all)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. kellykungfu

kellykungfu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 21, 2009
    Quote:Thanks for the response. What type of circumstances would I need to disinfect the coop? The only reason that I'm wanted to know about hosing down the coop was to keep any potential smells minimized.

Second question, is there such thing as an a-frame tractor/coop that utilizes the DLM?

Thanks in advance.

4. rhythmicgoldfish

rhythmicgoldfish Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Barrington
    you could try painting the inside of the coop with a washable paint that will give you a surface to clean

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Like if your chickens got some sort of bad disease, and you wanted to disinfect before new ones coming in.

The only reason that I'm wanted to know about hosing down the coop was to keep any potential smells minimized.

Just regular ol' good ventilation and good hygeine is better, with spot-scrubbing occasionally if needed, IMHO. Hose down the whole thing and it's likely to remain lingeringly damp for some days (at least) which actually *increases* odors (not to mention encouraging structural rot)

Second question, is there such thing as an a-frame tractor/coop that utilizes the DLM?

There is no 'the' DLM, there are several different versions (really as many as there are people doing it [​IMG]) so it depends what you mean. The biggest thing in a small-air-volume coop is to make sure that air quality stays good -- you end up needing more ventilation than you would think (it is hard enough to balance a tractor's ventilation needs in winter... you don't want to be trying to have to do it with poo building up as well)

Good luck, have fun,

Pat​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by