Catch or Herd them?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TerriLaChicks, Sep 9, 2009.

1. TerriLaChicks

TerriLaChicks Overrun With Chickens

Apr 23, 2008
    Central Louisiana
    What's the easiest way to move ducks? I have two, & would like to move them to the new bigger coop/run about 100 yards away. They are in a big chainlink fenced in yard now, so I know it's going to be a task if they have to be netted. Will they 'herd' across the yard to the new pen or is there a better way to catch them? trap them? maybe bait a dog crate?
    They are both 1/2 runner ducks & FAST! any advice would be appreciated.

2. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Catching them would be the easiest, but they will herd fine also...but you also have to be good at herding...anticipate their every move and always move the opposite direction you want them to go. [​IMG]

3. duck walk

duck walk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    white springs, fl
    I herd mine....they herd pretty easily...as I have so many, I get two long broom handles or "arm extenders" and I can move them all over the place, even through narrow gates and such...

4. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Yeah, thats a good idea to have something to reach out with..

5. pirtykitty

pirtykitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Waco, Texas
    Would treats they like work?? also.. Mine go gaga over cut up tomatoes.

6. Duck Keeper

Duck Keeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Out in the Boonies
    If they're really flighty, I would suggest first cornering them somewhere then hopefully carrying them over, because herding that far away may take a while. [​IMG]

7. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    If they love treats then you could make a treat trail..mine are pigs with wings and will go anywhere for treats. [​IMG] I heard mine anywhere I want them, I have my dog or daughter walk next to me we form like a V with our arms so it kind of funles them to where they need to be. That is less stressful on mine then trying to pick them up. [​IMG]

8. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    can you catch ducks after dark like chickens?

9. Sunny Side Up

Sunny Side Up Count your many blessings...

Mar 12, 2008
    Loxahatchee, Florida
    Quote:They seem to have much better night vision than chickens do. My ducks & geese hang out in the yard long after dark and must be herded into their houses before we go to bed. The only duck we can catch is our blind Khaki.

10. newchickmom09

newchickmom09 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2009
    ARIZONA
    can you catch ducks after dark like chickens?

Mine don't see good at night at all but they have very good hearing. If you try to walk up on them they will jump up and run into everything that is in the yard. [​IMG] At least mine you can't get them like chickens.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by