catch that chicken!!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by chicken cooper, May 27, 2010.

1. chicken cooper

chicken cooper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2009
    I built my 2nd step brooder to be safe large enough to be my "free range" place. OK now chickens eat out of my hand but when the other one comes down to catch them to put them in the free range they run.How can I get my 6 10 week olds into the free range without scaring them so? the fr pen is 2x4's and hardware cloth. the bottom is open and the top lifts up. It is 4x 10

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Treats?

3. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    Wild chicken chase + videocam = YouTube gold!

[​IMG]

4. NurseNettie

NurseNettie Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2008
    Northern Maine
    Get a friend, a net, and wait til dark to try to catch and move them. They settle down, and don't see so well at night.

Quote:

5. chicken cooper

chicken cooper Out Of The Brooder

Sep 25, 2009
    I need to get the chicks from their coop/run into the play pen in the grass during the day. They eat treats from hands but run when I try to grab them

6. ColoradoMike

ColoradoMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 12, 2009
    Northern Colorado
    My only suggestion on catching/corralling chickens is to corner them... Also, if you happen to grab their tail feathers, it will slow them down... [​IMG]

7. JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom

JoAnn_WI_4-H_Mom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2009
    West Central WI
    create a transfer cage, open it, put the treats in, birds walk in, close it, move the birds. You may have to make several trips.

Once they realize going in the transfer cage is a good thing because they are going to play outside, they will get used to it.

8. justtoni44

justtoni44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2010
    oregon
    I teach my chicks to follow by giving them a little scratch.then walking slowly and continuing to drop a little scratch at a time as I go....................works for me ..I never chase a chicken.scares them and wears me out.
    They can learn to come to the sound of the scratch being shaken in a tin can.

Good Luck

9. gogoalie

gogoalie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Alaska
    My 6-7 week old pullets would come when I have flies pinched in my fingers, & know now that that's treat time...they come to me when I kneel down, & I just swipe them from behind when I wanna hold one...[​IMG]

Coop time, I just wait till sundown...here in AK that's like 11pm...[​IMG]

10. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    its easy for me to catch them by chasing them in to the corner and scooping them up but you probably all ready have tried that [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by