Catching bantam roos??

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by columbiacritter, Nov 14, 2008.

1. columbiacritter

columbiacritter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2008
    Scappoose Oregon
    I came nab my standard breed roos but my 2 little Dutch banties are so fast I can't reliably catch them.

When I let them out to free range sometimes I want everyone back inthere runs before dark and the roos refuse to go to their coop. They try to go in with the standard hens which sets off the resident roos.

I tried a net, which worked just once before they learned to recognize it and stay out of reach.

Any secrets to catching these zippy little terrorists??

2. dacjohns

dacjohns People Cracker Upper

Let them go where they want and then catch them when it's dark. They settle down when it is dark.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    You can make or buy a chicken catcher. It's a thin pole with a handle at one end and a hook at the other. It allows you to snare them by the leg without harming them.

4. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Feed them. My bantams can be a pain to catch when they are just running around. Give them something to keep their attention on and they just stand there while I quietly bend down and grab them. Also if you feed them every time you put them up they'll come back to the coop for the food even if it's not bedtime yet. Some people teach their chickens a certain call or sound when they throw them treats so the chickens will know to come.

5. L&Schickens

L&Schickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Washington State
    I use a large soft mesh fishing net. One with small holes, not the hard nylon large hole kind. Catches them up real good. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by