Catching chickens...without causing flock hysteria

BorregoMike

Chirping
Jun 30, 2018
I’ve got 30 birds, all ten weeks old today, with 8 of them being red broilers who are ready to move to the freezer. The rest are a combination of things, some for meat and some for eggs. Isolating the red broilers in the run or coop, and grabbing them, causes total freak out in the whole flock and my mere appearance in either area causes them to freak out for about a day or so afterwards. I don’t want that. I want a low stress way ( for the chicks) to get the birds that I want. How do other people do it? Looking for helpful hints.

I’ve got 30 birds, all ten weeks old today, with 8 of them being red broilers who are ready to move to the freezer. The rest are a combination of things, some for meat and some for eggs. Isolating the red broilers in the run or coop, and grabbing them, causes total freak out in the whole flock and my mere appearance in either area causes them to freak out for about a day or so afterwards. I don’t want that. I want a low stress way ( for the chicks) to get the birds that I want. How do other people do it? Looking for helpful hints.

Wait until it is dark out and get them. They are much more docile at night.

Back
Top Bottom